View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #15
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Any one know Arsenal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
Windows XP Professional and thats is what takes up the other .5 gig it is used by the operating system, without a graphics card, just using the built in graphics chip, would remove another .25 to .5 of the available ram. Leaving 3.25 or just 3 gigs left for the programs.

Are you saying MACs don't use any ram or do they have separate ram for the system or does it simply not show how much ram is being used by the system? I has to use something.

Many Windows programs do not show what is being used by the system but XP, and some of my diagnostic programs do show exactly what is using how much.
I don't know what MACs do, I don't have one. I have an old PC running Windows XP Home Edition Basic with SP2. It shows me my total RAM, minus the bit used by my old graphics processor in the system properties. That's what I thought you were talking about. As for RAM usage by Windows itself, it doesn't use that much. You really only need 64 MB of ram to run the OS, according to the system requirements on the box, though they recommend you have at least 128 MB. So, I don't see why the OS would take that much RAM to run, especially in idle mode.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote