View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

SAD R.I.P. Majel Roddenberry

VARIETY: Majel Barrett Roddenberry, actress who appeared in all five “Star Trek” series, died Thursday of leukemia in her Bel-Air, Los Angeles home. She was 76.

The wife of late “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry, she was known as The First Lady of Star Trek.

NBC execs and female viewers alike were said to be displeased that Rodenberry cast a woman -- who was also his girlfriend at the time -- as First Officer in the series pilot “The Cage,” and she was recast as a nurse and then a doctor in subsequent series.

Barrett Roddenberry returned in “Star Trek: The Next Generation” as headstrong Betazoid amabassador Lwaxana Troi, and as Troi in “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.”

She also provided the voice of the USS Enterprise computer in almost every incarnation of the series and most of the Star Trek films, including the upcoming J.J. Abrams’ film.

Born Majel Leigh Hudec in Columbus, Ohio, she attended the U. of Miami in Coral Gables, Fla. After moving to Hollywood, she appeared in TV shows including “Leave it to Beaver,” “The Lucy Show,” “Bonanza,” “General Hospital,” “Love on a Rooftop” and “Please Don’t Eat the Daisies.”

Her film roles included “Westworld,” “The Quick and the Dead” and “A Guide for the Married Man.” She married Roddenberry in 1969; he died in 1991.

She also served as exec producer on “Earth: Final Conflict” and “Andromeda.”

She is survived by a son, Eugene “Rod” Roddenberry Jr.

Donations may be made to the CARE Organization or Precious Paws.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote