View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #18
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Any one know Arsenal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Vista requires 1GB of RAM.
Then how are they selling "new" PCs with only 512 MB of RAM and the Windows Vista operating system? Though most you can buy have at least 1024 MB, there are still a few on sale that have 512 and they have the Vista OS.

And, while I was sitting here, I found the answer. According to the product details at Office Depot for Vista, the memory requirement of Vista is 512 MB, not 1 gig. And that's the recommended RAM, not the minimum. 'Cause it shows 128 as the requirement for XP and I know from looking at the XP box sitting on my desk that the recommended RAM is 128, the minimum is 64. I think I heard when it came out that the minimum for Vista is 256.

Now, that's not to say it doesn't run a hell of a lot better with 1 gig or greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm
@e_g_180 here is something for you to try, press Ctrl-Alt-Del (at the same time of course) Select 'Processes' at the bottom of the little box on the right hand side there are two numbers write down the first one, the smaller of the two, and subtract that from your Physcial Ram. This will give you an idea of what you have for ram to run additional programs. If you don't have a virus program or firewall or Quicktime, etc. You may have a very small number of processes running and a good amount of ram available to your programs. Most systems I've seen, when people bring me their systems for repair, etc., have between 30 and 50 processes running at idle. You may have more or less on somewhere in between. I looked at my laptop and it has WinHome on it also and it reports Physcial Ram not Useable ram also.
You can also bring that up by right-clicking on the taskbar and clicking on "task manager" on the pop-up menu. I know about all the processes, I was just confused about how you were figuring your RAM. I'd thought you were talking about your total RAM listed in the system properties, I didn't realize at the time that you were subtracting the usage of your system processes.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote