Old May 25th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #2
Kai
Victorian Engineer

http://www.b5tv.com/greatmaker/articles/288/

Quote:
Richard Biggs passes away
B5's Doctor Franklin dies suddenly, aged 43
Posted By: AntonyF on 2004-05-23

It's our very sad duty to report on the death of Richard Biggs, who played Doctor Franklin in Babylon 5. He was 43.

It's an odd twist of fate, as it's only two months ago that Richard's on-screen father in B5, Paul Winfield, passed away.

J. Michael Straczynski broke the news of Richard's death in a post to the moderated B5 newsgroup:

"I was awakened today with several phone calls from cast members and Doug [Netter] to pass along the terrible news that this morning, Richard Biggs passed away.

"We're still gathering information, so take none of this as firm word, but what seems to have happened, happened quickly. He woke up, got up out of bed...and went down. The paramedics who showed up suggested it was either an aneurysm or a massive stroke.

"His family members have been informed, and all of the the cast have, as far as we can determine, also been informed.

"This is a terrible loss for all of us. Richard was a consummate professional but more than that he was an honorable, stand-up guy. If he gave you his word on something, you never had to wonder about it afterward. He was always helpful and supportive of all the cast, even those who only came in for one episode, always with a ready smile and determined to do whatever it took to make the scene work. He was, quite simply, a terrific guy, and everyone here is just devastated at the news.

"More word as this develops. We may try to have some kind of fund raiser to help give whatever assistance may be helpful for his kids.

"We all miss him terribly."

Biggs brought Franklin to our screens from the first regular episode of B5 "Midnight on the Firing Line", to the very last episode "Sleeping in Light". He appeared in three out of the four TNT-produced TV movies, "In the Beginning", "Thirdspace" and "River of Souls" and when reprising his character of Franklin was the only major B5 actor to appear in short-lived spin-off Crusade.

Away from B5 his TV appearances included Days of Our Lives, Tremors, J.A.G., NYPD Blue and Touched by an Angel.

Sympathies from everyone at B5TV.COM go out to Richard's friends and families. This is is B5 fandom's equivalent to the loss of Deforest Kelly from Star Trek. B5 fandom will no longer be complete without his valued attendances at conventions, and without what might have been his inclusion in the new B5 project. He will be missed.
The shakes become a warning
It is by Caffiene alone I set my mind in Motion
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote