View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Fretslayer

Default Re: New Starship Farrgut Video

Some remakes are good though - The Fly comes to mind for me - but that is the excception rather than the rule.

9 hours downloading? Geeze. I could download them for you, burn 'em to DVD and snail mail them your way if you'd like.

But back to the subject at hand - Yeah, I have a bad feeling about this film. I'm trying to keep a positive mindset about it though. I think the casting was pretty solid so at least there's that. But when I see things like the Enterprise being built on the ground I go 'huh?'.

The other thing that has me a bit converned is that JJ Abrams is a flavor of the week character. I watched Alias and Lost and I can tell you this much about the guy's writing... He poses questions and instead of providing answers he brings in new characters and tells different stories with new questions. Story wise, it's like he can't close the deal. Cloverfield was IMO pretty cool and a good movie but that was because it had an interesting gimic and massive backstory (i.e. slusho and the monster is actually a lost baby calling out for it's mama!).

Again, this is nothing more than my opinion but I think that Abrams and Paramount are dancin' on glass with this thing. They're not going to pull 'new' people into the theatre that are fans of Abrams due to his TV shows - Trek is a very touchy thing and it's still alive due to old Trek fans bringing their children into the cult...er...fan base. LOL!

Upset that core and they'll make a mighty roar.

Clearly I love Trek (why else would I spend weeks of my life animating a little film?) but that doesn't mean that I do not have a hard opinion and critical eye.

I'm sure you know that exact feeling.

...It better be a d@mn good movie or there will be a massive fan-based backlash against Paramount and Abrams future projects.