Thread: TMP-era Ship(s)
View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM   #17
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: TMP-era Ship(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
I do have one Q though... why are grid lines modeled in?
That's how I roll. Besides, the TMP-era ships had etched grid lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
Looking good dude! My only beef is that the pylons and the platform the bridge module is sitting on look like they were taken right off the modern Akira class and don't fit the look of the saucer, engines and deflector dish pod or the era IMHO. I would suggest trying to 'moviefy' them a bit. But thats just my 2 cents. Other than that she is looking sweet!
They're not exactly the same. Besides, the movie-era includes the Excelsior and Oberth classes, which are a lot more streamlined than some of the other more TOS-based ships. (not to mention those cool little shuttles they started showing in Star Trek 4) And there aren't really too many ways to do those parts any more "movie"-ish without making them look stupid, IMO.

OK, revision # 11051 (or at least that's what it seems like. ) The navigational deflector is back to being between the catamarans in the back. Sorry to everyone who didn't like it there but that's how it's going to be. I tried other arrangements in my head and just don't like any of them for this ship. I also sank the BC deck down into the saucer more (which required me to nix the observation lounge in back) and decreased the height of the bridge and the sensor dome so the deflector would cover those without raising it. I also changed the angle of the struts a little (again) so they're even less steep than before. And I started on a couple small details for the deflector housing. For the saucer, I re-splined the main part. It's still a placeholder (not enough segments for my taste) but that is the spline I'll use for the final saucer.

And I'm happy to report that everythigng fits with a normal deck plan (none of that fudging stuff to make it fit like other Trek ship designers.) There are 16 decks at present and that's not likely to change since the nacelles and lower sensor dome won't count. BTW, the bridge is on deck 7. (I love weird starship arrangements. )

evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote