View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Miscellaneous Stuff

As people who follow my blog probably already know, I started another ship the other day. I was inspired recently to do something from the NX-era, so I started looking through my references and whatnot from that series. That's when I found this great concept drawing by John Eaves:

John posted that on his blog at some point and I saved it thinking I would one day use it for inspiration. Well, I'm using it now. As people who are familiar with the series know, the ship on the right was used. It was the Intrepid, which appeared in the episodes The Expanse and Twilight. I like that ship a lot and I did a 3D model of it a few years ago in TrueSpace. That does eventually need to be redone in Lightwave, but not right now. What I'm working on now is the ship on the left, which was never used on the show. I like the design, so I'm building it.

Obviously, the drawing is detailed, but not quite how they detailed things on the show. So, I'm taking cues from other ships from Enterprise and doing details based off of them. Also, since it's easy to scale the ship to the Intrepid using the nacelles, I used the orthos of the Intrepid model from the series for a scale and started with the nacelle. I'm nearly done with it and will be moving on to the warp pylon next. (then those will both get mirrored, of course)

Anywho, this is what I have so far: