View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

COOL Iron Man Soars To $300M

Iron Man is poised to become the first film of 2008 to reach the $300 million mark in gross domestic ticket sales, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Through June 17, the Marvel-produced comic-book adaptation had earned an estimated $299.3 million in the U.S. and Canada. With recent daily grosses of at least $680,000, Iron Man is expected to reach the $300 million mark on June 19.

Sony's Spider-Man 3, which grossed $336.5 million domestically to top the 2007 box-office rankings, was the first film to cross the $300 million threshold, managing the feat just 23 days after its May 4 debut. Though Iron Man required 51 days to reach a similar mark, its achievement was much less anticipated before its premiere on May 1.

Last May saw two other $300 million grossers: the Paramount-distributed Shrek the Third from DreamWorks Animation ($322.7 million) and Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End ($309.4 million).

Among summer 2008's other big openers, Paramount's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is another clear $300 million candidate, with $279.5 million through Tuesday. The fourth film in the Indiana Jones franchise has also grossed $359 million internationally, and opens in the lucrative Japan market this weekend.

Iron Man has grossed $250 million internationally for a worldwide total of more than $550 million. It's set for a September opening in Japan.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=3&id=56411
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote