View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #17
LordTyphon

Default Re: Star Trek vs Star Wars

Basically if you think about it Star Wars is technically more advanced then Star Trek in a few ways and vice versa. Here are some tech differences to take in to account. On a side note, I'm a member of the 501st, and we tend to talk about this alot.

FTL Tech
Hyperspace is faster then Warp speeds. This was proven in a old Dragon Magazine that went in to depth about it (don't ask me the magazine number, I don't recall). Basically you can get someplace 5 times faster with a SW 2x Class Hyperspace engine then traveling there at Warp 9.

Shield Technology.
Star Trek is more advanced as there sheilds do not flicker around a ship, but rather form a bubble around the ship. This is why Star Wars ships sometimes recive damage in battles. A good example is right in New Hope, with the first battle, and the one where the Falcon escapes. Sources: Star Wars RPG, West End games verision (tech notes in there where made offical years ago), and the Star Trek Tech manuals.

Weapons Technology
These are about evenly matched. While Star Trek Phaser technology is better, as the ship doesn't have to worry about turrets for aiming. Star Wars weapons can deal more damange or with ION weapons disable a ship without damaging it. Torpedo/Missile technologies are about even, but Star Trek has a slight edge as there weapons blast yeilds and radiuses are variable, while Star Wars ones are not.

[B]Other technologies[B/]
Transporter technology is something Star Wars does not have, and could be a major advantage by the Star Trek universe if used as a weapon. A example of this is form a ep of Voyager where there crew transported a proton torpedo in to a Borg vessel.

Small fighters, and self fighting probes/driods however Star Wars has a larger advantage in this area, as other then shuttles you hardly ever see or heard of anything like a starfighter in the Star Trek universe. Thus ships that carry wings (72 fighters) in the Star Wars universe would be at a huge advantage in that regard.

Overall opinion
In my opinion the Star Wars universe ships could beat Star Trek ships easily, due to tactics used and the use of star fighters. Also if you think about it, the only force in the Star Trek universe (if we go by the primary quardent used in that universe) that might give them trouble would be either the Klingons, or the Romulans. The former as they are warriors, and live for war, while the latter because of there superior cloacking technology.

However if we just say do a fleet to fleet battler, then Star Trek might win, as it could use probes and torpedos like mines to help keep the starfighters busy.

All in all you can see that this is a hard call to make, mostly due to the differences in fighting tactics and technology. My section of the 501st decided it's best to just say this. "If it happens, will find out then, till then it doesn't matter to us as we have better things to do then endless debates."