View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2012, 01:41 AM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Disney to buy Lucas Films

I've seen The Avengers. I don't know if I've seen any of the others that Disney has actually produced. (unless they also did X-Men: First Class) Even though they bought Marvel in 2009, they haven't been making the movies until recently, other studios have been doing them.

However, it's got less to do with who is making it and more to do with what they're making. What story will they be using? Will they adapt something? If so, which story? There are a lot of existing post Return of the Jedi books, what do they use? Or do they go with something original and possibly screw up the established expanded universe continuity? Who will be in it? Harrison Ford is 70 years old, Mark Hamill is 61, Carrie Fisher is 56. Unless they're actually planning on going 40 years into the future, they're going to have to get new actors to play Han, Luke and Leia. But who? Who can possibly play those roles as well as the those three actors?

That's what I'm talking about. It's a fun idea to say, "sure, we're going to do what George wouldn't and make more movies," but it has to be carefully thought through and planned. The combination of George Lucas, the principle actors and the production crew are what make the Star Wars trilogy so fantastic and what have made it so lasting. People have high expectations when they go to see Star Wars movies, you saw what happened when some people saw the prequels. They whined and cried and are probably still doing it. Imagine how badly Disney could screw this up if they're not very careful.