View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM   #43
Fretslayer

Default Re: Free 3D Programs "To which to learn with"

Well, Kai I guess I am totally twisted! LOL!
I've suspected that was the case for quite some time now!

I've used everything from Bryce v.1 through v.5, Max v.4 through v.9 and Lightwave v.7 through v.9 and Carrara Pro 6 is the one that works with the way I work.

Perhaps it's because I approach animation less as a modeler and more like a film director.
There are things I can do in Carrara in under 5 minutes that takes me hours to do in Lightwave or Max and it's not because I suck in either of them - it's because I have to fight their interface to get where I need to go.

I guess it's all just a matter of what you're used to and how you approach your art.
With both Max and LWO never finished a single animated project.
With Carrara Pro 6 I make an animated short film about every two weeks or so.
I have one comin' down the pipe right now that with luck should be available in about two months. It's running time will clock in at 35 minutes and I need to get with my voice actors for the dialogue. The more voices I have in the short the longer it takes me to animate it. The best thing about my friends who do the voice work is that they work for beer...Good thing I brew my own! LOL!

Taranis - there is a 30 day demo available for the program. Much cheaper than the $500.