View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #1
Dark Overlord

Default DVD industry out of control

Saw this on another forum today so here it is. I agree 100% with everything stated below:

I think the motion picture industry is out of control.

People flock to Blockbuster, Best Buy and other retailers to buy new releases on the day they come out to huge fanfare and discounts offered by retailers.

A few months later, they release a "special edition" version with new extra features. Virtually every DVD I own has been the victim of this type of marketing. The original intent of the DVD was to provide a richer entertainment experience. It seems richer applies only to the coffers of greedy corporate execs who want to gouge the public for all it can get.

I bought the Mummy, only to have an "Ultimate Edition" come out a short time later, which has 2 discs instead of one, and a ton of bonus features. Same with:

Terminator
Terminator 2
The Abyss
The mummy Returns
ALL Star Trek Films
Independance Day
ALL Disney Films
Men in Black
Jurassic Park

and the list goes on. If it is a big budget special effects film, you'll get bare minimum on the DVD you buy when it hits street, only to find they have enough material for a complete second disc 6 months later. Nothing like spending 24.95 for a movie, only to find a BETTER version being sold later for the same price.

Just this morning, I find once again my wallet being picked. The original Stargate film with Spader and Rusell, is now being re-released, remastered and a second disc of bonus materials added.

This is a really nasty tactic. They know fans will plop down bucks when stuff comes out. The clerk at the Best Buy asked me last week what was up with this Buffy box set (season 3 came out last week) she said people had been buying these like crazy all day. I explained it was a popular television program. And execs know that fans will buy right away, we are a nation of instant gratification after all.

Unfortunately they know that they can keep releasing special editions of the same material over and over again and the same people that spent millions for the first limited releases, will go out and shell out money all over again for the new and improved versions.

Until people start saying no, they will keep doing this. Until it is clear that we want a quality product, first time, no bullshazbot, they'll keep it up.

Anyone who has had enough, I urge you to write to the companies that produce the DVD's and tell them you have had enough. Next thing you know they'll be cranking out 6 different cover box art versions of a film and expect you to buy them.

Also, feel free to cross post this message anywhere you frequent. other forums, mailing lists whatever. Spread the word.