View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Micaelus

Default Re: Martok's NO SPOIL STAR TREK review...

Your review seems fair, but even so I've my two cents to add.

The movie has a different feel and pace than "your father's Star Trek" which is undoubtedly what Abrams and Co intended and why it fared so well with publicity and at the box office so far. At the same time, the break-neck pace coupled with bright lights and general flash, glitz, and glam at times seemed overwhelming. The movie crams A TON into its two hours, so much so that much of the interesting character development that proved central to previous reboot enterprises (Batman, etc) seems lost. There are a lot of characters here deserving of screen time, but at the pace set by Abrams by jumping from scene to scene many get short shrift. The back story of Kirk and Spock, touted to be central to this film and likely of most interest to perennial fans, remains overly truncated, at points showing scenes either to give a nod to Trekkies/ers or simply for their adrenaline value. Many of the interesting stories remained untold in the interest of blowing up the big baddie.

A far as the acting goes... Quinto/Pine/Urban as the Spock/Kirk/Bones trio has huge potential. I was less impressed with Chekov, Sulu and Scotty...particularly Scotty and his over-done "comic" relief. His appearance with a sidekick and his general antics seemed to take a bit too much from the new Star Wars trilogy's reliance on "comic" dialogue from C-3PO or Jar Jar Binks. A seemingly unnecessary addition.

Those, without spoiling any plot, were my primary gripes or critiques. On the whole, the movie was surprisingly tastefully done in regard to canon and established fans. I only wish there could have been a more happy medium between excitement/action and character development.