View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #19
Fretslayer

Default Re: Starship Exeter: Exeter Rising" Fan Story mini-series

This site has some awesome model builders and the people are way cool as well.
I'm not surprised that you got the response that you did but I've been around here long enough to see (for lack of a better term) the quality of people here. Most of them (myself included) are found elsewhere around the net but I notice a different vibe here than I do with other CG forums.

Anyway, I think I understand where you are coming from with regards to your story.
I am a writer who taught myself to animate so I could get my stories out into the wild.
For me, it's all about the story - beautiful meshes are a thing to behold but without a story they're a still image - still something I think is really cool - but - when you see that mesh come to life and in combat or on that mission, it's much cooler.

As you may have noticed the ratio around here of modelers to animators is...well, I'm not sure there are many other animtors around here. LOL! I get a huge kick out of taking the meshes these guys work so hard on and then using them in animated shorts. I've gotten some feedback by a couple of modelers who enjoyed seeing their mesh(s) in action so it's a cool relationship between animator and modeler. I am all about giving credit to the guys who's meshes I use to tell my stories.

I have a few programs that I use to do my video editing with and I'll start taking a look at what their animated GIF limitations are. Perhaps there is another format that will work the same way but provide a smoother video. I'll look into it and see what I come up with. Also my main animation software might animate to GIF - It does just about everything else. LOL!

Speaking of full lenght projects - One that I am currently involved with is being done in 5 mintue mini-episodes. There will be a total of 5 of them (so the webmaster can update his site with a new chapter every two months) and when I get to the final episode, I'm going to go back and edit them all into one large file. That large file will be a 'Directors Cut' and instead of each episode being 5 mintues long they'll each be 6 minutes in length. This will keep the viewer (hopefully) interested enough to keep them coming back to the site for the next chapter and then finally for the full blown one.

If it goes over well and the response is more positive than negative I will begin production on part 2 which tells the 2nd half of the story. The story ties a bunch of different SciFi universes together in a pretty crafty way (if I do say so myself. ) but i can't let that cat out of the transporter just yet. LOL!