View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #226
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Star Trek Models and Resources

Don't worry if you go off topic, we do it all the time.

As to the Kelvin, I freakin' love it. However, in the "Prime Universe" in 2233, the Kelvin would have had its own emblem, yet they're wearing what (at the time) was the Enterprise emblem on their uniforms. Another point (besides the size of the ship) is that humans in 2233 have no way of knowing what a Romulan looks like, they never saw one until 2266. Also, the ship has a lot of touch screens and stuff like that, which make it fit better into a futuristic look at current tech, but the original show all had buttons, toggles and switches. This is the problem of taking a couple of overzealous writers and a new director into Star Trek, they mess things up worse than Rick Berman ever could. They thought, if they made it appear that the "Prime Universe" was split at an earlier time, then they could present the whole movie as an alternate reality story and Trek fans would accept it. However, to accomplish that, they have to do the parts that are supposed to be in the original universe correctly, they didn't. They should have just done a total reboot, like they have with BSG, Hawaii Five-O and several other franchises.

Having said that, I still really like Star Trek. (the 2009 movie) I think it's a great flick, I just don't like all of the wrong things they did, so I lump the whole movie into an alternate reality, even the 2233 and 2287 parts.

Back on the thread topic, I love the Kelvin model and do plan to build it one of these days. I started one in 2009 but I didn't have the best references for it. I have more now and will tackle that (perhaps) sometime this year.