View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Is VFX a failing industry?

OK, I stand corrected about Downey, Jr. He's not a very easy guy to get a read on. Sometimes, some of the comments he makes seem like it's all about him. But, maybe I've read him incorrectly. (I've heard other people comment on that too) Chris Evans should be throwing some love to the effects people. Without them, he'd have never been able to play the pre-Captain America Steve Rogers in Captain America: The First Avenger. They did a lot of work and came up with groundbreaking techniques to turn him into "Skinny Steve."

If taking a contract means you have to cut your price so much that you can't cover costs, you let the contract go to someone else. You don't take it and then not be able to make ends meet. My dad works for an engineering company and they never bid so low that they'll go into the red, and that means they occasionally don't get contracts. As far as I know, effects companies get a fee, they don't get a percentage of the movie's gross income. That's why films can cost so much to make when they're effects heavy. If they don't get a job because the movies' producers want to go cheap, they need to bid on some other jobs.

Though, I've seen the clips from that film and the effects are stunning. The tiger alone blows my mind. Since they wouldn't have a film without said effects, the producers should help out the effects company. The fact that they're letting a company whose effects made their film what it is go bankrupt says a lot about the character of the people making that film. (usually, the producers decide things like this) But, one can only hope that their Oscar will throw some work their way.