View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Fretslayer

Default Re: New Starship Farrgut Video

Ok, well if you need something like the video in the future feel free to mention it to me. If it's a matter of address - I'll provide you with mine if that makes you more comfortable.

Peter Jackson's Kong I thought was pretty good. The only thing for me was that it got a bit long winded during the dino-stampede and the 'bug cave' but I understand why he did the 'bug cave' scene. Odds are you already know why as well. I have always been a fan of the original Kong film (well, acts 1 and 2 - act 3 always makes me sad) and Jackson's version had the same effect on me in that regard. I thought the skating rink scene was really effective because it was a slow burn into the inevitable darkness that we all knew was on it's way. It's hard to watch somebody having the time of their life when we as the viewer know it's the last good time they're going to have in a very short and tragic life.

As for Spielberg's 'War of the World' I have moments of it that I like and moments that make me want to slap the hat right off of his head. Something I thought was great was the scene in the diner. It was an understated and very important human moment and one where you could see that despite being a nut-job, Tom Cruise can act. The thing that got me in the scene was the scared family... The son and daughter were clinging onto one another for strenght and support...across the table sat their father...who only had his hands to cling onto - that scene is a fantastic metaphor. 'he held himself together because it was the only thing he had to hold onto and the only thing to hold him, was himself.' - BRILLIANT!

The part that I think should have hit the editing room floor... When Jr was fine and dandy. Bollocks! That kid got smoked the moment he ran over that hill. They should have had him die there. That was IMO the proper way to deal with the character and the scene. Plus it makes the story that much more important in that, in a time of tragedy we all lose somebody we love - not one of us gets away unharmed.

I also loved the 'whaaaaa hoooooorrrrrrrrrrrr' sound of the Tripods.
Very nice touch.

War of the Worlds was the first book I picked up on my own and read on my own.
I was something like 5 at the time and the book left a major impact on me.