View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2020, 03:49 PM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Happy Star Trek Day 54 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd3d View Post
For this fan none of the following shows have ever really captured the same sprit as the The Original Series
Well, they were never really supposed to. Each series was made to fit with the decade in which it was released. With TOS, you had a fun and cheesy show, very colorful (celebrating the availability of color televisions) and just outright optimistic. It's got lovable characters and knows better than to take itself too seriously. Yet, there's still some really good storytelling. It's really a great example of the popular television from the 1960s. Looking at it with other popular Sci-Fi of the time, such as Batman and Lost in Space, it really fits in nicely. However, a show like that wouldn't work in the 1980s. In fact, I have the book on the cancelled series Phase II, and there was worry over that even in the 1970s. The series bible, scripts and everything else being done on the production really pointed to it being a series that was very much in the spirit of TOS. However, some say that wouldn't have been right for 1970s television and the show may not have lasted, so it's actually good that then went the route they did so that the franchise could endure. However, as fans we like what we like and there are no wrong answers. If TOS is the show that says "Star Trek" to you and you don't like the others, then that's your prerogative. At least you know what you like and you enjoy the Star Trek that you love.

For me, it's TNG all the way. I was born in 1979, so TNG was on when I was a kid. I like the other series, with TOS being my second favorite, but TNG is the best for me. I think they struck gold with casting Patrick Stewart, though I also think everyone else did a great job. I really like the characters and the storytelling on that show and I think they have some truly fantastic episodes.