View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #18
Robert Simmons

Default Re: Starship Exeter: Exeter Rising" Fan Story mini-series

Thanks. You bet.

The drawback I am having currently with the animated gif formats is that if I try to put too many frames into it, it starts dropping and skipping frames. So I am stuck in not overlaoding each file with too much. I have taken some of the hand drawn animatics to a more smoothed out file. But when i added another layer of inbetweens ot a3-48 the gif format chiked and I was forced to go to a .mov file format. And for me that stunk sicne I watned it to be playing automatically inside the browser window. And for me that is important since I am not only wanting the automatic visuals to assist in the story telling, but also have the visuals be a big fat baited hook for anyone browsing the stroy thread. I tohught it might work as a magnet to draw people into reading the stories. A friend on Dennis's site recommended a couple of months ago that I ought to do some drawings since most people ar visually oriented and don't read as much these days in relation to TV. So I did a few drawings and got mad realizing that I was going to need to do a wehole lot more if I was going to make any visual presentation of this work. Hence the hand drawn animatics which I began to do and post about 2 to 3 months back. I started about little over 3 weeks ago in making and posting the phtographed model updates to the animatics to upgrade the look and make it look less cartoony.

I'm willing to try anything seeing which way works best. But in time I want a full blown episode on DVD. Well...12 fully done eipsodes on DVD. But I have tottake it one step at a time. And anything offered by anyone to help is most welcome. Especially yours. I'm surprised at the swiftness of the responses on my first day on this board. Over where the story thread origionated...I was mostly hearing the crickets chirp. Encouraging difference here.

I hope to soon get back on drawing with pencil the last half of the shots for the episode and then doing model shots as well. Any CG done buy you or me or anyone here if working to the storyboards that work...WILL BE USED. And I'm not stingy about giving credit to those who help and will credit them up front.

It's nice to see some interest beginning to be seen given all the effort I've put into writing these withthe hopes that they one day would be produced. For a while I was beginning to think I was out of touch and not understanding what I was doing wrong in the appeal of the stories. I've had some feedback in the past year that has been reassuring and I'm not baffled anymore what the deal is. Alot of what is going on is in the VISUALS. And jsut text only is a lacking way to communicate that.

EDIT: One more thing. I am trying to do these shots in a way that is if they wee done by Anderson for Star Trek in 1968 like Starship Exeter is doing. But except when I need specific shots for the battle, I want everything to be completely indistinguishable from what was produced for Star Trek then. In a nutshell I am trying to be careful that the final look does not look "too perfect". The best exaple I can point to is how Dennis Bailey handles his lighting and contrast and details on the models. This is ultimately for what I am striving for as a end goal. But I am flexible on the road to getting there later on.

Last edited by Robert Simmons; October 26th, 2008 at 09:20 PM..