View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #187
Fretslayer

Default Re: New Member Welcome Thread

@ Taranis - Contests are cool. I enjoyed the last one even though I had no chance.

@ cloudwkr55 - I didn't see your question in the help thread but then again, I've not been around here that much in the last month or so.

Modeling and Daz. This is actually pretty simple really. Any app that will export an OBJ file will work just fine with D|S. Now if you're talking about creating a bone rig then you'll going to have to get a hold of Hexagon. Hexagon is the Daz modeling tool that does the rigging and what not.

I have Hexagon 2 and I can tell you first hand that it's pretty easy to use but I also have the basic grasp of how 3D modeling works. From what I've seen most of the modeling apps work pretty much the same on their basic level so one you understand the fundamentals of how to create an object or rig one in any app, you'll be able to grasp it in the others.

Hexagon 2 has some really nice tutorials that walk you through the building of a generic space creature. It's a good starting point and later if you use ZBrush you'll be used to some of it's features and quirks as Hexagon has them too.

The free apps are still good too. I started off with a free version of Bryce 3D and then GMax. I don't know too much about the apps you've downloaded but I'm willing to wager that you can find some great tuts for them on YouTube.

I hope this helped a bit - feel free to ask anything else you might need to know...except for the meaning of the universe, life and everything.