View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM   #7
kageryu

Default Re: Colonial Space Marines - or not

I am glad you like it. The next test will involve several fighters in a dogfight...Top Gun style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
There is only one thing I can think of that I'd do differently... On the background/starfield I'd set a position & scale point for the 1st frame. Then on the final frame I'd move the background over a bit to the right and scale it up just a bit.
I was actually planning something like this for the next revision, along with adding light to the lasers and explosions, etc. I was just in a hurry to compile a preview for now :laugh:

Quote:
I love the AE shatter you have on it. Bonus points!
I have such a difficult time getting that effect to work that most of the time I just use a 'mesh bomb' on the model and use that for my ship explosions.
It's actual a double layer with 2 different sets of shatters. One larger with more extrusion using the glass texture, and a smaller one with little extrusion using the Triangle and Squares textures. This gives a more uneven breakup to the debris, and a wider range of parts. I needed a faster way to produce shatters than to make mesh fragments for all the different ships I want, and by changing a few parameters and the explosion footage in a project like this I can make hundreads of varried ship explosions.
If I were any good at making youtube tutorials I'd make one for this once it's done.

Quote:
Since you have After Effects, I'll tell ya this much - you can never (ever) go wrong with Andrew Kramer's 'Action Essentials' and 'Action Essentials 2' available over at http://www.videocopilot.net/ <--- they also have some excellent video tuts on AE effects.
Yup, I used a few of the tutorials there for inspiration (particularly the dead planet explosion).
The lasers were really tricky, as all of the tutorials used plugins from CS3 and up, which I do not have (no cyclinders for me). I am still not happy with their shape, but they work for now.