Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old September 10th, 2001, 08:39 PM   #1
FAdmMinosh

Default USS Ulysses - Hercules Class

Well, after taking in the comments from the WIP section I decided to finish up the Hercules is a flash, still may tweak it here and there but for the most part I think it's pretty much done, at less good enough to do some scence with it. All of these are in 1024x768 so I've just placed links......Comments as always are welcome.

http://home.networkone.net/~minnow/f.../hercules1.jpg

http://home.networkone.net/~minnow/f.../hercules2.jpg

http://home.networkone.net/~minnow/f.../hercules3.jpg
Old September 11th, 2001, 12:34 AM   #2
Masao

A few notes about the markings:
1. You should probably put pennants and registry of some kind on the nacelles.
2. The port registry on the underside of the primary hull is just flipped 90 across the hull and wouldn't be legible from any angle.
3. The main registry on the top of the hull should be stretched out a bit more. Registry generally cover an angle of about 90 degrees.

I don't know much about textures, but the ship looks a bit plastic-like. Maybe it's too uniformly shiny? Did this ship have a ventral deflector/sensor dome? Even if Bernd didn't draw one, I think you might consider adding one.

Old September 11th, 2001, 05:22 AM   #3
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

She needs a deflector. Also, the texture makes it look a little plasticky on the last image.

Overall a nice sequence of images. Your nacelles are neat and I especially like the background in the second picture.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2001, 05:57 AM   #4
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Another of Bernd's interesting and compelling designs - good job. The only problem has been that some of his designs (early era ships) tend to be inconsistent with the use of a deflector as Skyhawk has already noted. I had the same problem with the Detroit class and simply added one that fit into the design. Give it some thought and maybe shoot Bernd a line (though he seems very busy at the moment - see his site for details).

When it's done 5 views!!

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2001, 07:07 AM   #5
FAdmMinosh

Ok, the Upper Sacuer and Lower Sacuer registeries are fixed, as for the Neacells, they do have registeries markings on them ( on the Larger area ), but you just can't see it from these angles ( didn't notice that until after I posted the images, in a future post I'll show them).

The Defelctor issuse. Well, I didn't model one in, 'cause Bernd didn't draw one in. The closest thing that he put on was the little tower thingy on the bottem of the Sacuer Hull thing, but I doubt that could handle the job anyways. Anywho, a couple of ideas did come to mind for a deflector dish, one was to use the standard Franz style of the Saldin Class, with the DD hanging down from the bottem of the saucer. My second idea was to expaned the sacuer's lower dome ( making it thicker ) and doing a concurve along the sacuer to the front and recesting the DD into the larger dome ( simular to how the Soverigen's DD is set into the Hull, expect my concurve would run the edge of the sacuer. )

Any more ideas?
Old September 20th, 2001, 02:46 PM   #6
Bernd

Hi Brian. Nice work!

The small thing on the bottom was orginally meant to be a turnable laser cannon, but I never gave it more details (and it shouldn't look too warlike). I now think there should be a deflector in a half-round cut-out at the forward saucer end. The shuttlebay was originally supposed to be where the impulse engines are on your model - your version is probably better. Maybe the underslung small rectangular hull should be the new shuttlebay. It may be a bit larger and taller too.