Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old August 20th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Sean

Default hellboy

Pencils by Keu Cha
Inks by Vic LLamas

Would you believe I have NEVER done a Hellboy picture before now..?!

There were two hard things about this picture. One - how to make Hellboy stand out, and Two - what the hell to do with that crackle stuff that Keu had added in the background!??..?!

So I started off with a red clouded background fading to black and stars at the top trying to make Hellboy stand out, which worked to some degree but you lost the crackle stuff at the top. It looked ok at the bottom, even though it had no connection to the rest of the background, but it was ok....

Then I thought, who else has coloured this and what did they do? Turns out 5 people have given this a shot on DA including *splashcolors* who made the crackle stuff a lightning effect. Brilliant!!! I thought, and immediately swiped the idea! :P

But then the red to black background didn't work. All you saw was this bright lightning crackle stuff and some odd shapes breaking it up here and there. You completely lost Hellboy and the stuff he's standing on to that bright bright crackle crap.

Back to the background then... Ditching the red-to black stuff (an hour and half down the drain) I went into my background folder. I keep all the old backgrounds that have turned ok in case I want to reuse and modify them. I do that when I'm feeling damm lazy and don't want to make a new background from scratch.. :P So, picking and choosing, mix and matching for about an hour or so I got what you see here. For those interested the final background is a mix of the Darkness 75 that I did, some elements of the Darkness 77 page and a section of the background to Hawkman - all of which can be found in my website gallery (http://www.seanellery.com) so go look for them if you like.

The rest of the picture was your standard colouring effort.

cheers
Sean
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote