Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old September 17th, 2001, 03:26 PM   #1
chrono

Default Help.... bevel tool twisting!

http://www22.brinkster.com/chrono1/S...orkFAILED1.jpg
http://www22.brinkster.com/chrono1/S...orkFAILED2.jpg
http://www22.brinkster.com/chrono1/S...orkFAILED3.jpg

What I'm trying to do is 'round' the edge of the white area.

The white area is a booleaned face(s), used a swept spline, hidden by the red area, which is not booleaned to it. The problem is whenever I bevel the white area it twists along the entire selected area. In the form of a flattened 'S'.

I've try'ed 3 different ways of shaping the white area and regardless of the difference. I still have this odd twisting happen. Also changing the shader smoothness doesn't help to 'hide' it either.

I use TS 5.1.
Old September 18th, 2001, 04:26 AM   #2
Admiral Pip

Ehhh....I dont even know how to spline model properly. :o
Old September 19th, 2001, 05:17 AM   #3
mattam

Hi,
What you might need to do is to remodel your boolean object, so that you can achive a smoother junction with the surface. Here's a example of what I mean:

You want to model the red object to make it a more gradual slope towards the blue surface. The use of a bevel could work, but in your case, the surface is not planar, so you will get weird results if you apply bevel to it. Changing the shader smoothness will probably not work that well in this case because the junction is so abrupt, the smooth shader works better where the edges coming together are at closer to 180.

hth!

-mattam
Old September 19th, 2001, 06:35 AM   #4
chrono

Well after MUCH fighting with it. I found the problem. The bevel tool does not like to bevel rounded surfaces. Period. Regardless of which version I try the results are the same, even on a regular 20*20 sphere.

Also I've found out if you want to change anything, surface-wise, after you remove the control mesh from an SS surface it's nearly a lost cause.

Thanks anyways mattam, but I'll just try and find another way to model the shape I what. SS just doesn't seem to be the right way to go with this shape.

chrono
Old September 19th, 2001, 11:10 AM   #5
Admiral Pip

The bevel tool not liking rounded surfaces goes for tS 4.3 as well, that was one of the main reason several parts of my Dreadnought class destroyer was completely remodelled.