Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old May 18th, 2001, 05:15 PM   #1
Kai
Victorian Engineer

Default From Kai's Tech Files - the Sokal Class File

FILE:#20403 CLASS EPILSION RESTRICT DECLASS - CROSS REF = FILE - 0087#TORP - SOKAL # FLAMEBIRD/TREBCHET

SYSTEM REF - 837326 AUTHOR HG ARNOLD - SEC ACCESS GAMMA 2

FILE FOLLOWS - REFER TO ATTACHED SCHEMATICS

CREW 3
SIZE 16.586m Length
5.026m Beam
1.379 Draft
WEAPON FIT As Mission Requirements
DEFENCE As Mission Requirements
ENGINES Miller Davies DDx2, Smith Nuke Fission Boosters x2
HULL END 90 Years, Refist Cycle 15 Years
SUPPLY END 6 Months
FUEL 7 Months (DD) 5 Years (Fisson)
CREW SPRT 7 Months
SPRT CRAFT None - Nose Section atmorentry capable Lifeboat

This ubiuitous class of ships were named after the famous Canadian scientist A.L. Sokal after her groundbreaking reserach into longtime space isolation effects, which enabled crews to withstand long duration missions without any mental detriment.

Originally designed as a research ship, the hull proved to be an excellent base for further mission profiles. Built to fast and easy to repair, mission after mission profile were added to her repertoire. From basic shuttle to Medivac to Fighter, the Sokal has served from 2045 to the present with no plans to replace the design for the forseeable future.

The secret of the success of this craft lies in it's modular design philosphy, made up of 5 basic moduals, the Nose (crew quarters), the Spacecage (support systems, fuel storage, main structyal connect points), the Drive Section, (reactor, DD Drives), and the 2 boosters, each being easy to replace as needed, with little in the way of drydock facilites being required.

With misson duration of 6 months with a month of fuel and supplies carried axtra as contingency, this craft is famed as being durable and being one of the safest in space today.

Several Subclasses have Evoled as standard Equipment Fits -

THE SOKAL NIGHTINGALE
Medivac - First consived as an emergency measure by Tech's during the Neo-Bejing Geosat disater, the Sokal has several Medical Pods attached to the Spaceframe, able to carry 2 ppl per pod, 8 attached, this stopgap was able to evac upto 16 crew members per trip. Once the disaster was contained, reviews of the Nightingale moved this subclass into limited construction.

THE SOKAL FLAMEBIRD
Fighter Craft- Developed for the Silica Project, this sublcasse features 4 Plasma Cannons mounted onto the spacecage in a 2x2 layout. This subclass has already served with distinction during the Leonid Meteor shower that threatned Neo-Chatham Geosat with over 80% of the incoming debirs destroyed befoe coming close to station orbit. Later the squadron that took part, the Flamebirds were assigned to EGF-0705 Mary Lou.

THE SOKAL TREBCHET
Missile Carrier- Carrying 40 short range nuclear tipped Shrike 4 missiles, this design was also developed for the Silica Project. The missiles are carried in an upper mounted self contained launcher / magazine pod attacjed to the spaceframe. Normal mission parameters require a flight of 1 Trebchet and 2 Flamebirds.

THE SOKAL FLEETFOOT
Fast Courier - Instantly recognisable by the addition of 2 extra boosters mounted above and below the spaceframe, this sublcass is used for rapid transit of senstive materials between earth facilites in Sol System. Only 10 have been built todate.

THE SOKAL SENTINAL
Radio Research - The orignal planned hull, not relegated to a subclass by the basic hulls success, the Sentinal is mostly found beyound the orbit of Neptune, recording radio transmissions from the Stars. One of these ships in 2114 recieved the message from the colonies of their rebelion to Nordic Fed control.

FILE READOUT ENDS
LAST UPDATE 7 MAY 2115
FILE UPDATE - S KOSAL - SEC ACCESS GAMMA 1
+++
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2001, 05:48 PM   #2
Dauntless

Neat!
Old June 25th, 2001, 02:29 PM   #3
Foo

AAAAAAAAh the Sokal-class.. lovely looking ship
Old June 25th, 2001, 02:41 PM   #4
Proximo

Hmm... I was going to do some tech-specs for a few of my ships but I never got around to it. Oh well. I was also going to do a short story about them but my comp crashed when I got half way through. Hadn't saved it either... sucks to be me sometimes...
Old June 25th, 2001, 03:05 PM   #5
Foo

Well it's a typical thing to happen, the amount of times I lost coursework doing that so I used that fancy feature on MS word that allows it auto save every so often as a safe guard
Then I curse myself when it overwrites something that I didn't want to change etc etc. A very vicous cycle
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:01 AM   #6
Proximo

Sure is... It didn't help that I was using wordpad at the time either.