Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old August 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Airartist75

Default CGI in film.

Just wanted to start a thread to discuss cgi in film. The best and worst and anything else. I've been interested in cgi effects since Tron, and have been following it's developement for decades. However I haven't seen any significant jumps forward in the overall realism of cgi characters in the past 10 years or so. No matter what the advancements in hardware, software, and mocap, you can still pick out the cgi in a film. I think the worst organic is a toss up of the Hulk, and the wolf from The Brothers Grim. The best I've seen so far would be Gollum.
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #2
mav1234

I enjoyed a lot of the CGI in Minority Report, because it fit in very well with the feel of the movie - but then again, the more I think about it, the more I realize that I'm pretty bad at being critical of CGI in movies. About the only time I see and chuckle about it is on made-for-tv movies (like those on Scifi) where the CGI is very easy to see. I still laugh about the various giant serpents and dinosaurs scifi movies contain. They always look so terribly out of place, hehe.

Other than that, I really don't notice the CGI very much.... but that may just be me.
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Airartist75

Yah...lol..I didn't think about the sci fi channel films...they seem to use the same script and insert a new mutant creature every time.
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #4
mav1234

Indeed... Sometimes I imagine SciFi movie writers as receiving a checklist to help them build write their movies
"Setting Is:
_ Underground
_ In Medeival Europe (But Everyone Speaks Modern English)
_ In Seattle (Why do they choose Seattle? :P)
_ A few years in the future, where mankind has been beaten down by SeePrimaryVillain .
Primary Villain Is: (CGI!)
_ A giant reptile of some sort. May or may not be able to fly. Probably a dinosaur. Trapped on an island. Or whatever.
_ Mythical creature
etc, etc."

That being said, they're usually great for a laugh... Nothing like a new movie about some kind of flying creature every week to make me laugh on my often boring Saturdays. :p