Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old October 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Battlestar Revivalist

Default "Starship Saladin" Upcoming Fan Production

The Starship U.S.S. Saladin is a Destroyer-Class Vessel designed by Franz Joseph in the 1970's as part of the Starfleet Technical Manual. Various sources have included the ship design as canon to Star Trek, such as references to it on Bridge readouts in Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, as well as her sister ships mentioned in communiques from the Epsilon 9 space station in STTMP.

It has also been said that Gene Roddenberry did not like odd-numbered nacelles on ships.

I never heard him say it, and he signed off on the Tech Manual. So, as far as I'm concerned, the ship is a valid ship. It's one of the 4 oldest Federation Starship designs ever created.

So, it's canon to me.

There will be more to come.

Ken

P.S. Here is the Enterprise built by Thomas Phong that will be appearing in the film. I have already converted this ship into the Saladin in 3d, but am still working on the texture maps.

Note: This is an excerpt from an interview with Franz Joseph's daughter, Karen Dick, who now holds rights to his estate:

"Side note here: FJ never objected to single, fan-produced, not-for-resale use of his logos (like the fan who made a 41 Eridani t-shirt for herself with fabric paints, or the fan who chopped up two AMT Enterprise model kits to build a Dreadnought), and, as administrator of FJ's estate, neither do I. The violations I'm talking about in the paragraph above refer to mass-produced, definitely-for-resale, profit-making ventures, and they should have licensing agreements with and pay royalties to Franz Joseph Designs. Period. End of sermon."

The full interview can be found in its entirety here: http://www.trekplace.com/franzjoseph.html

The Starship Saladin project, is made in honor of Franz Joseph, whose wonderful work should be seen on screen. It is a not-for-profit venture.

--Ken

Some renders from the series coming up....

"The Bridge Set"

"Engineering Set"

"Uniform Insignia"

"Captain Ray Martin"

"Lt. Xonac, First Officer/Science Officer"

"Dr. Dvin Thelev, Chief Medical Officer"

"Lt. Commander James Singh, Chief Engineer"

"Ensign Diana Palmer, Helmsman"

"Hostile Takeover"

"S.S. Bonaventure"

"Distress Call" -- Promo for Tamerlane Crossover!

A friend of mine who is doing an online anime-style Star Trek comic book, set on the U.S.S. Tamerlane, sister ship of the U.S.S. Saladin, is doing a crossover story with my ship and crew. This image is a way to tell him "Thank you!" and hopefully send a few new readers his way. I hope you all take the time to go read his stories. If you like Star Trek, you'll enjoy these. If you like good human stories, you'll enjoy them whether you like Star Trek or not.

Ken

View the U.S.S. Tamerlane adventures at http://www.usstamerlane.com

---------------

Image rendered in 3d Studio Max, based on an original model of the U.S.S. Enterprise modeled by Thomas Phong, and converted by Kenneth Thomson Jr. The ship is still a work in progress. Image best viewed full size!

Full resolution:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/galle...le_1764784.jpg

www.demonslayers.com
www.demonslayers.org

Last edited by Raymar3d; October 19th, 2008 at 02:03 PM..
Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: "Starship Saladin" Upcoming Fan Production

WOW That looks great Raymar3d.

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Fretslayer

Very nice!
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Ken, re: the Bonaventure: Why not use a more accurate version (based on the animated series where it appeared) that's available here in the downloads? thomas7g's is in Max.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #5
alt1701
Shuttle crasher

hi, very nice, over at http://xcalpro.com there is a better Dilithium Chamber and Power Unit you can download for free, a few other things also.
keep up the good work, and thanks for using the model.
alt1701
alt1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #6
ulimann644
Code Blue

A big WOW - that´s really fantastic stuff...
ulimann644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Battlestar Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Ken, re: the Bonaventure: Why not use a more accurate version (based on the animated series where it appeared) that's available here in the downloads? thomas7g's is in Max.

Actually, I considered it. The Bonaventure model I made is going to be a different ship in the actual movie, considering the Bonaventure from TAS is lost in the Delta Triangle. The model I made was built about 15 years ago, and might be Bonaventure II or something along those lines. I just added it for eye candy, mostly. I appreciate Tom's excellent model and the accuracy of the design to the TAS ship, but at the same time, I like this one too. It has nods to the DY-100 class with the secondary propulsion system next to the tiny hangar bay. That bay houses some very small shuttlecraft, but several of them. There's only 20 crew on this ship. Each shuttle can carry five passengers besides the pilot. The idea of this ship is that it is the replacement for the one lost in the Delta Triangle.

It also carries the logo for United Earth Space Probe Agency, referred to by Kirk in "Tomorrow is Yesterday."

Thanks everyone for the feedback! This film/comic/animated film will have several incarnations. I have 17 stories, some of which will be done as comics, some as 3d movies, and some as live action films, enhanced with the 3d models and set interiors.

I have endeavored to put all credits on the images, but I noticed a few that show the bridge do not include Sean R's credit, so I will go back and add that to them. I want to personally thank each and every artist who has posted models here that I have used, and I assure you that you will get full credit in the productions. I am making a credits list as I go, and nobody will be left out.

Sincerely,

Ken

www.demonslayers.com
www.demonslayers.org
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #8
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Battlestar Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt1701 View Post
hi, very nice, over at http://xcalpro.com there is a better Dilithium Chamber and Power Unit you can download for free, a few other things also. keep up the good work, and thanks for using the model.
alt1701
Thank you for building it! I was hoping I'd get a chance to let you see what I'm doing! I posted on the sharecg my thanks as well. I know what a drag it is to do a lot of work, get hundreds of downloads and no comments. Don't take that personally.

Ken

www.demonslayers.com
www.demonslayers.org
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #9
gmd3d
Admin

I am only now looking into poser . in this case Poser 5 .. I am lost but getting there

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Battlestar Revivalist

Full resolution image:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/galle...le_1765969.jpg

For seven years, John Russell commanded the U.S.S. Saladin, until his promotion to command the U.S.S. Hood. That is a tale that will be told....

----------------

Comments welcome!

Ken

www.demonslayers.com
www.demonslayers.org
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Battlestar Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
I am only now looking into poser . in this case Poser 5 .. I am lost but getting there
Grab DAZ Studio from www.daz3d.com for a more up to date program than Poser 5. They use the same models, but Poser is at version 7 now, and even my version 6 won't last long. Poser 5 has some issues with some of the models I've been using, and 6 opens them cleanly. Just be forewarned.

But get in there and have some fun!

Ken

www.demonslayers.com
www.demonslayers.org
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #12
gmd3d
Admin

Will do .. the POSER 5 was free at the time .. now I know why

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old October 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Battlestar Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Will do .. the POSER 5 was free at the time .. now I know why
Don't get me wrong, P5 is still worth every dime of free, and you can make it open the files successfully, it's just a little trickier. I did get it to work with the bridge, but at first the lights were really wonky. There are a lot of settings I'm still getting used to, 3ds Max being my primary program of choice, so adjusting parameters and stuff in poser was more a matter of finding them than a problem using them once I found them, LOL.

But P6 has ambient occlusion for the lighting, and that is so sweet. It really makes the scenes look better than even max was doing with ray-tracing. I'm starting to appreciate program a lot more as I get better with it.

Ken

www.demonslayers.com
www.demonslayers.org
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #14
UrbanArmitage

Poser 5 is a good app in it's own right. It very badly needs the updates in order to be more stable and have some of the bugs ironed out. The updates are still available on the Smith Micro site IIRC.

Poser 6 was also released free with one of the 3D magazines on their cover CD IIRC. I don't know if you guys have anything like this over there but in South Africa we have 'R10-a-kilo' book shops that sell old copies of books and magazines by weight. These aren't second-hand but new stuff that was surplus and returned to the suppliers or distributors. I've picked up a lot of really good stuff in these shops.

TBH, Poser is really coming into it's own nowadays with 7 Pro. It has some fantastic features that were sorely missing in the earlier versions IMHO. Things like IBL, AO, Gamma correction, render queueing, 64-bit renderer, native integration with major modelling apps, etc. Some of these features have been in Poser for a while but are starting to mature now with 7 Pro.

The updates for all supported versions of Poser except the current 7 Pro version are available for free at the Smith Micro site. The 7 Pro updates require a valid 7 Pro license number before they can be downloaded.

UA
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #15
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Battlestar Revivalist

Default Just an update :)

Lisa Randall is one of the communications officers of the U.S.S. Saladin.

Full resolution image here: http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...erSheet_01.jpg

www.demonslayers.com
www.demonslayers.org
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #16
mdbruffy
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanArmitage View Post
Poser 5 is a good app in it's own right. It very badly needs the updates in order to be more stable and have some of the bugs ironed out. The updates are still available on the Smith Micro site IIRC.

Poser 6 was also released free with one of the 3D magazines on their cover CD IIRC. I don't know if you guys have anything like this over there but in South Africa we have 'R10-a-kilo' book shops that sell old copies of books and magazines by weight. These aren't second-hand but new stuff that was surplus and returned to the suppliers or distributors. I've picked up a lot of really good stuff in these shops.

TBH, Poser is really coming into it's own nowadays with 7 Pro. It has some fantastic features that were sorely missing in the earlier versions IMHO. Things like IBL, AO, Gamma correction, render queueing, 64-bit renderer, native integration with major modelling apps, etc. Some of these features have been in Poser for a while but are starting to mature now with 7 Pro.

The updates for all supported versions of Poser except the current 7 Pro version are available for free at the Smith Micro site. The 7 Pro updates require a valid 7 Pro license number before they can be downloaded.

UA
Been using POser 7 for several months now and I can say that it's definately improved- I came into it with Poser 5- and while there's still the occational glitch, it is far more stable than the earlier verisons.
mdbruffy is offline   Reply With Quote