Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:55 AM   #1
skyhawk223
Flight Instructor

Default Serenity movie comments - Spoiler alert!

So, who saw the movine this weekend? Not a whole lot of people given the $10 million in sales. It was beat out by Flightplan at $15 million.

I thought it was a great film. Good pace and plenty of story. My wife went thinking that it was going to be dumb. She had never seen the show. Now she wants to go back and watch all the episodes.

Wash's death was so uneccesary. I don't understand why they killed him off.
The movie theater staff passed out surveys prior to the film. Looks like the studio is trying to gauge viewer interest in reviving the show.

Too bad we will not learn more about the shepherd either.

Overall a big thumbs up from me.
skyhawk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #2
Proxy

I loved it.

I agree with you on Wash's death it was so not needed.

And the shepherd yes, pitty, in the last episode of Firefly that bounty hunter said he wasn't a shepherd, I'd like to find out what he was talking about there.
I have the complete series on DVD and it was awesome.

Now wheres that petition for the second season gone! *looks around*
Anyone know where it is?
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Harbinger

I have to agree with you guys - I was lucky enough to see Serenity at the Edinburgh International Film Festival on August 28th. We're hoping to see it again this weekend...
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #4
dolphinius

Being a sucker for the underdog, I went and saw it last weekend a LOVED IT!. Certainly would be a wonderful thing if the studios saw what a mistake they made in the first place when they cancelled it. We all know that there have been a lot of shows given more time to grow then 11 episodes and then cancel it. Sci Fi Channel has been airing all 11 original episodes and I think I have watched each one again. Yes it is a shame what they did to two of the main characters, but we all know, that sometimes things just either aren't what they seem or well, who knows maybe even a dream of what could happen and then they stop it. There is after all the who Psychic influence in there. I am gonna keep my fingers crossed and hopefully, they will either make a sequel or decide that it should be given anther chance.

Peace,
Dolphinius
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #5
STEVEFRIARS
Shuttle Pilot

Alan Tudyk (who plays Wash) has been in a couple of other movies that I've seen, so perhaps he wanted to bow out of the whole Firefly thing to pursue his movie career. That's just a guess. I'd heard that someone was going to die in the film and so approched it with dread - whereas most shows have at least one "disposable" character who could kick the bucket without leaving too much of a hole, with this I found myself not wanting any of the crew to die - Joss Wheddon just writes his characters so well.
I thought Mr Wheddon's big achievement here was to produce a "film of the TV series" that actually continued the story and satisfactorily answered questions from the show rather than just being a tacked-on addition made for the sake of it. And to borrow one critic's assessment, if only the Star Wars prequels had been this good.
Please bring back the series!
STEVEFRIARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #6
Proxy

I have the 14 episode dvd boxset.

I wanna see a Serenity 2 someday. I have no idea how its going to be done but nonetheless I would love to see a number two or make more episodes from where they left off in the series but not going into the movie's storyline.

And since they are Cargo Haulers there are many stories that can come out of it.
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Anyone up to doing a full review on the Serenity DVD (the movie, not the series)?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #8
thedirector1971

Default Serenity

I bought the movie Serenity without ever watching the show. I am a fan of Joss Whedon and his work on Buffy and Angel. I must the say the movie was just friggin great. The acting was very good. I noticed that Joss lilkes to work with the same people, meaning that three of the cast members were bit players on both Buffy and Angel. What was great about the film was thta having never seen the show I was totaly emersed in the reality and the characters. The effects were good, lighting is very important. I would say that if your a fan of sci fi adventure, This is a movie to see. 4 stars out of 5
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Santee

I got the DVD for the holidays and watched it just this past weekend.
The buzz is all well diserved.
I thought the acting was great, the story line was good as well, but what struck me as different was the dialog. The writers really did a good job on this.
The was something about the lingo that I enjoyed tremendously. The entire dialog about being on the "Ragady Edge" was awesome, it totally put their state of being into perspective.
There were so many instances were the "speak" of the show made it for me.
I totally apreciated the 3d . . . . very good work. . . .
I don't know how I missed this series . . . I guess living in Canada really screws me up when it comes to T.V.
gp
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM   #10
BST
Shuttle Pilot

I'm torn about the deaths of Wash and Shepherd...just as STEVEFRIARS mentioned above, the characters were so well-written and so likable, that one hated to see any of them killed off. I realize that I became a browncoat a little later than most but, I tell ya.....if there is a Serenity sequel or if Joss kick starts the show again, I'm there!
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I heard the sequel got nixed. That sucks.

I also saw this movie without ever seeing the show. In fact, I didn't even know Serenity was based on a show until I saw it on the back of the DVD cover. It's a great flick, though. I love the CGI and the characters are great. Plus, the story was a good blend of action and comedy, especially with some of the stuff Jayne did. I'm with everyone who said Wash and Shepherd didn't have to go. I thought they were cool. But, they probably killed Wash so River could be trained as a pilot, which still didn't require the death of the existing pilot. Unless the actors didn't want to be tied into future sequels, that happens sometimes.
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #12
Viper12

Bought the DVD not expecting much, just an "ok" si-fi film, and I have to say I was hooked right from the start.

I never did catch the series her in Australia, except for one episode, due to the way si-fi is screened in Australia ie only on late at night, changing the time it is on constantly and changing the day it is on also. It makes trying to tape anything a nightmare, especialy when I tape around an hour after they say the show should be finished and STLL occasionally miss the end of some shows, its an absolute discrace.
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #13
Saint Gildas

The movie brings out a lot about the characters that we didn't know: especially River. After I saw the whole film (missed parts on opening night and caught them on DVD later) there were things that seemed rather creepier about her than before, almost as though she were some Krishnan incarnation (an Avatar in the original sense...) instead of just some chick with psychoses and psychic ability.
Has anyone noticed a correllation between psychic power and psychoses in Sci-fi characters like that?
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:58 AM   #14
BtaraKtahn

I'm like Viper12...

I picked up the movie in a Previously Viewed bit at Hollywood Video and totally fell in love with the characters, the ship and the story, then had to track down Firefly on DVD because I had missed the series when it was on TV.

I consider the set one of the gems in my collection.
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #15
ddogstar

Default noob

I never knew much about the show, but saw the dvd for the movie at at the store. I thought it was a great flick!
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #16
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The shows are awesome. I just saw them recently and had to run out and buy my own set. Plus, a lot more of the subtle stuff in the movie makes more sense after seeing them.
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #17
Warrior Woman
We are all Precious Gems

HAPPY

I Netflixed the series and the movie after a rave review from my partner's coworker ... I got hooked. I've heard a rumor that Joss Wheddon is trying to buy the rights from Fox to the series and market it to other studios ... He doesn't want to work with FOX any more.

The term for the "speak" is "Frontierism". It's considered a "dialect" of the American west. Okay, I've spent far too much time researching aspects of this incredible 'Verse.

I do have a question. I work in Poser and Vue 5 Esprit quite a bit. I'd like to have a model of Serenity. I have Sean Kennedy's model but being Lightwave, the textures don't work in those programs. Does anyone have a Poserised version? I'd soooo appreciate it. Thanks.

Sincerely
Boni

Warrior Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #18
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Of course Joss doesn't want to work with Fox. He was ready to leave Fox but they begged him to stay and create another series (Firefly) and then ran them in a messed-up order so nobody knew what was going on and the series flopped. I've gotten a couple people on other boards who didn't like the series back in '02 to go and rent the DVDs so they could see the series in order and they like it now. (damn Fox anyway.)
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM   #19
bwaomega
Shuttle Pilot

As far as missing the series on TV, that scheduling @#$% wasn't just in Australia. I live in one of the most SF oriented markets in the US, was looking for the series, and STILL couldn't find it most of the time. So I'm not surprised that JW is upset with Fox.

The series definitely had a lot of room to grow, certainly in terms of character development and determining what lay in each character's past. Seemed almost like a group of PCs from a tabletop game, with a lot of disparate characters ending up thrown together by seeming chance, but each filling an important niche in a complex whole.
bwaomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #20
the3dgm

Warrior Woman, I downloaded Sean's version of Serenity and converted it to an .obj, in a conversion program, I've rendered images of it in Vue, Bryce, trueSpace 5, Strata and yes Poser.

I'll warn you though, the textures will have to be adjusted in each program to look good and that's a lot of work, about 280+ texture maps. This was the Poser, and Corel P-P version.

Firefly

I know it's the Poser version because if you look close, real close, you'll see a little Wash flying it!
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #21
Lee
Completely FUBAR!

Thats really good.

Support the Network: 3D Scifi | Framevoid | Scifi'ers Anonymous | Ejected Core |Wolf Den Productions
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #22
the3dgm

Thank you my Lord! :^)

Just found out the gallery is working here and there are two of my 'Firefly' images in there. The very original 'thing' that I did in tS, and you'll see all the errors and the last tS image with all the errors I'd made corrected, a little difference. . .
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #23
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

That picture is sweet. So, was Serenity supposed to have found "Earth that was" in that one?

The gallery isn't working. (though it might have been earlier or I'm just getting something else because I'm an admin.) It looks like Warrior is changing to Coppermine software for the gallery and hasn't uploaded any images yet. Too bad because I was gonna check out your old stuff. You said you used tS for the stuff in the gallery. Which version?
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #24
the3dgm

Version 5, an old one, I'm retired on a fixed income for health reasons and can't afford to up grade much anymore, and why I should have got LW at some point. . .oh, well!!!

I just went into the galleries a moment ago. . .hmmmm!I went here, 3dgladiators.net/. and clicked the word 'Gallery Home', 'General Sci-Fi', Miscellaneous, the first page has them both, one titled 'Out of Gas' the original image I shoehorned into tS, and the Last image I did in tS. You should be able to see a world of difference in the model's appearance if you look just a little close!

Congratulations, you are the only person who ever commented on the 'earth-that-was' aspect! (I don't think anyone else ever even noticed)
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #25
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
Version 5, an old one, I'm retired on a fixed income for health reasons and can't afford to up grade much anymore, and why I should have got LW at some point. . .oh, well!!!
There's nothing wrong with that. I don't have a high paying job, so I use trueSpace 4. I have some newer freeware programs, Wings and Blender, but my old computer doesn't like them very well and I don't know what's what in them anyway. For one thing, Wings is way too much box modeling for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
Congratulations, you are the only person who ever commented on the 'earth-that-was' aspect! (I don't think anyone else ever even noticed)
Yeah, I know my continents.
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #26
the3dgm

About 10 months ago, my computer's motherboard went out, it was so old I could not find much in the way of replacing just the MB. After scraping together some money, saving and selling some stuff, I picked up a Factory refurbished computer for $199, 2 ghz, dual core AMD with a gig of ram about 6 months ago, a start! By the end of the month it will have 4 gigs of ram and, hopefully, a decent video card. My total cost should end up at a little over $300 and 6 or 8 months. So upgrading your computer can be done on a budget!

Software on the other hand. . .
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #27
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I lost my motherboard last month. It was an old Compaq with a Socket 7 (about the last one they made before the Socket 8) motherboard that runs an AMD K6-2 533 Mhz processor. The crappy thing is that I could get a replacement motherboard from HP (they bought Compaq a few years ago) but it costs $200! That's friggin' ridiculous. So, what I'm eventually gonna do (when I have the money) is just replace the motherboard with a brand new AM2 motherboard, an AMD Sempron processor (haven't decided which yet) and some RAM and replace my power supply with a better one to run it all. Since my HD is less than a year old, that will pretty much bring my PC up to date and will all cost less than that motherboard from HP. And I already have the OS for it as well, Windows XP, the best Windows yet, IMO.
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #28
the3dgm

I'm a hardware nut, and have put a couple of computers together, well you're not a gamer! :^)) Best place to purchase, almost anything for your system is New Egg.

New Egg

AMD is the best way to go on a budget, but if you watch the Egg for a sale you can get a Athlon for about the price of a Sempron, (Semprons and Celrons are crippled versions of the Athlon and Pentium lines) a slower Athlon is better than a faster Sempron. Now if all you do with your computer is type letters home to Mom and surf the web, what a lot of people do with their computers, a Semprons fine. However, even a dual-core Sempron will seem fast compared to the old K6!!!

You can probably pick up a 450 or 500 watt PS, at a computer show for $10 or so, but in all honesty, unless you plan on putting in some power hungry add-on cards you can always get by with a 250 or 300 watt PS. (then again for $10 get all you can!)

WinXP, any version, is all I recommend or use myself! If you ever have a question, just ask!
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #29
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I know what I want to get, it's just a matter of having the funds, but I certainly appreciate advice as I am a bit of a novice. But, due to having to rebuild the PC that the motherboard went kaput in a couple times (though I haven't actually gotten to the motherboard yet) I've become pretty knowledgeable the last few years. (my family's amazed I can even build a PC because I'm self taught. )

Thanks for the link! I'm always on the lookout for new tech stores. :evil: Unfortunately, they don't do many computer shows in my area, if they do any at all. I've been looking at components at www.buy.com because it was the best place I knew of for components (typically cheaper than places like tiger direct.) I've been looking in the 250 to 300-watt range for my PS. I do some gaming on the PC but mostly on consoles, so I can play while I render. And most of the games I want to play will work fine on the built-in 64 MB graphics cards in new motherboards. (truth be told, most games in existence don't need more but people always want more and they want faster.) Besides, a 128 MB PCI Graphics card will run on a 250 PS, I think.

As for the processor, I'm always looking at AMD because I love their stuff, it lasts a long time and it's, as you say, cheaper. As for the Sempron/Athalon thing, I'll probably start with a Sempron simply because of the price issue but later, when I don't need to buy the motherboard, processor, PS and RAM all at once, I can splurge on an Athalon. As you say, anything will be faster than the old K6-2 or the even slower processor (you don't want to know) in this older computer that I'm currently forced to use. Besides, the newer AMD motherboards will run most Semprons and Athalons, allowing one to upgrade later.

I'm liking the prices I'm seeing on that link you gave me. Also, they have brands buy.com doesn't have. buy.com only has 2 or 3 brands of motherboards and some of their less expensive MSI motherboards over there have questionable graphics processors. (I've already had to deal with that by buying Compaqs.)

I'm basically wanting to build a PC for my art projects and a few games. I'm not needing the latest gear, just something that will run well and will be relatively inexpensive, which is why I want to build one rather than buy a new PC. Plus, this way, I'm not stuck with Windows Vista and I know exactly what's under the hood.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM   #30
the3dgm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been under the weather the last few days with a bad case of the flu. . .I hate that!

As far as video cards and power supplies go, a good rule of thumb is if, like many of todays newer mid-range and high end video cards, if it has an external power cord that plugs into your PS, get a BIG PS, at least 500 watts. If it draws it's power from the slot PCI or AGP 300 watts should be enough. The key to a gaming card is how many fps it can run at at max resolution and all extras turned on. All you need is about 36 fps consistent, but, gamers want 100's of fps. . .just to be on the safe side.

Sounds like you've got a good idea of what you want, and New Egg is the place, it's where I buy 98% of all my computer stuff. But, if you do have questions, just ask and if don't know an answer, I'll have it for you very soon.