Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #31
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Space: Above and Beyond - What is it?

Earth 2 was mostly on a planet, wasn't it? I was referring to ships flying through space, exploring or whatever. I never watched it but that's the impression I got from the limited info I found on the show. I wish Hulu would get more of these older shows, especially the ones that did a season or less, so that I could watch them and see how they are. It would be awesome if they had Space: Above and Beyond but they don't.

Yeah, Starhunter is just OK, though I'll probably watch at least a few more before I decide if I like it or not. So far, the characters don't seem as dynamic as they do on other shows like Firefly. But that might change. In fact, I'll probably watch another episode later. That's the beauty of Hulu, I can watch when I want.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #32
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Earth2 was planet-bound, yes, but not much different than the "planet of the week" scifi shows.

And it had aliens.. well... natives to the planet, but alien to us.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #33
tgep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
I don't know if a bunch of jarheads would make a good cast or not. However, a Marine Corps. Drill Sergeant might be in order. After you sign some actors, hand them over to the Drill Sgt. for a boot camp-ish training schedule, let them get a feel for what it's really like to be in service. If anybody complains, send them packing and sign somebody else. Also, you'd have to have at least one former jarhead attached to the writers, not necessarily as writer but as a technical expert who could make sure they got the military stuff right. You have to worry about details like that if you really want a show or movie to work.

I was in the US Army and I hate it when they get military stuff wrong in shows and movies. I watched 3 or 4 episodes of The Unit before I realized their writers sucked and that clearly nobody who had been in the Army was involved in that show. After that, I stopped watching.

Though, I don't remember S:aAB and I don't remember how good the military aspects were. (besides, that was long before I joined the Army)
That's not a bad idea either, except the Marine Corp doesn't have Drill Sargents. We have Drill Instructors.
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #34
tgep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
The military aspects were pretty good in S:AaB, and the show was in the future. The military won't be the same as it is now, just like now the military is different than say... WWII.
Things change ... but you build on the lessons learned from the past. Side note. The Marine Corp Class A uniform is almost the same as it was in WW-II. The technology would be diffrent sure ... but to make the audience familiar with a lot of aspects, a lot would be based on current tactics and procedures.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #35
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgep View Post
We have Drill Instructors.
Yeah, sorry, big difference.

I'm lucky if I remember the proper terms for Army stuff, let alone stuff from a branch of service of which I've never been a member (which is why you won't see me out there writing military novels. )
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #36
tgep

LOL, no worries.
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #37
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

I loved Space Above and Beyond. Was so good. Well for a sci fi starved audience. I think it could have been great. Loved the Hammerhead design. Cancelled way too soon. Was so glad when it came out on DVD.

I liked Earth 2 thought it got cancelled to soon also. The little girl was good she was played by Madison Wright Morris. She had a heart disease in real life and had a heart transplant. She died when she was 21 from a heart attack. Very sad.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #38
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I got Space: Above and Beyond disc 1 from Netflix yesterday and I really like it. I watched all of the episodes on the disc last night and now I'm looking forward to disc 2.

I watched some of the episodes back in 1995, but I remembered very little about it. I mostly remembered Hawkes being different somehow, (though, I didn't remember his name) having something on the back of his neck and being sent into the military by a judge. That's basically all I remembered. It's too bad the series didn't do well in 1995, because it has a big cult following now. In fact, it has an 8.0/10 user rating on IMDb. I would say I wish they'd bring it back, but they'd probably mess it up if they did.
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #39
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

I was very disappointed when SAAB was cancelled. Was one of my favorites.

How far along in the series are you now?

I think if given the chance it would have been great it was really staring to get its wings. I think the CG would have gotten better. The hammerheads looked great the space carrier USS Saratoga was not the best CG model. But for its time and for a weekly show it looked pretty good.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #40
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I've watched two of the five discs now. The last episode I watched was the two-parter where the 58th uses the Chig ship to infiltrate their space and winds up being captured and having to escape. I'm on the single disc plan from Netflix, so I can only get one after I send one back. Plus, I had to take a break and get Rise of the Planet of the Apes last week (it was finally released on Netflix.)

I'm really enjoying Space: Above and Beyond. It's got a really nice edgy, gritty feel to it. The CGI is really great for the time, better than Babylon 5 was in its first season. The Saratoga was OK, what really needed some work were the Chig ships, but we'll never know what might have been as it was cancelled. S:AAB was nominated for tow Primetime Emmys for its music and visual effects.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM   #41
Theophilis
Shuttle Pilot

I really like the show. I believe the overall feel they were going for was WW2 Pacific theater in space. In some areas it got the military feel down pat, in others it was pants on head retarded. Who sends highly trained, highly valuable pilots down as footsloggers?
Theophilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:04 PM   #42
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

Yeah I always found that part bizarre. But gives them more to do I suppose. I bounced around similar ideas, but it's tough to understand how it would be believable. I do love the show one. As I've said it's one of my favorites.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #43
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, typically, pilots wouldn't be used as infantry. My guess would be that they didn't want to have the characters doing the same thing every week. Giving them more responsibilities than just being stick jockeys kept the show from falling into a routine where they just go out in their ships every episode and fight/shoot stuff.
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #44
Theophilis
Shuttle Pilot

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. It started out rough, but it grew into it's own very quickly. I really would have liked to see what they could have done with this show had it kept going.
Theophilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #45
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, unfortunately, it's one of those shows that went before its time.
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #46
Tenement
3DG Forum Moderator

Space 1999 isn't military either. (Scientific outpost.)
Tenement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:50 AM   #47
kevlary
Shuttle Pilot

I wish they would bring a sequal back , i thought the series was great, and they pulled the plug on it dam shame.

It reminded me of battlestar galactica in some way, i thought the ship looked realy cool too, the chig ships looked a bit bastic looking, perhaps they could of made them look a bit more interesting.

i would love to watch the pilot series again, if i can find a resource to download it, bring back some fond memories!!

Last edited by evil_genius_180; February 21st, 2013 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Needless double post
kevlary is offline   Reply With Quote