Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old December 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Default Space: Above and Beyond - What is it?

With impressive special effects and an exciting, inspirational story, this short-lived but popular science fiction show scored four Emmy nominations, but was cancelled after the first season due to studio politics.

Cast:

Morgan Weisser ... Lt. Nathan West
Kristen Cloke ... Capt. Shane Vansen
Rodney Rowland ... Lt. Cooper Hawkes
Lanei Chapman ... Lt. Vanessa Damphousse
Joel de la Fuente ... Lt. Paul Wang
James Morrison ... Lt. Col. Tyrus Cassius "T.C." McQueen

It's the year 2063. After 150 years of deep space exploration, people on Earth feel certain they are alone in the universe. Everything changes when news comes that two outposts light-years away from Earth have been attacked by an alien civilization. Now the new young recruits of the United States Marine Corps Space Aviator Calvary are headed for the front lines in the toughest battle the world has ever had to face. Thrust into an intergalactic war, these untested fighter pilots suddenly find themselves waging a life-and-death struggle to protect Earth and to save mankind from total annihilation.

Episodes:

1-01 24 Sep 95 Pilot (1)
1-02 24 Sep 95 Pilot (2)
1-03 01 Oct 95 The Farthest Man from Home
1-04 08 Oct 95 The Dark Side of the Sun
1-05 15 Oct 95 Mutiny
1-06 22 Oct 95 Ray Butts
1-07 05 Nov 95 Eyes
1-08 12 Nov 95 The Enemy
1-09 19 Nov 95 Hostile Visit (1)
1-10 26 Nov 95 Choice or Chance (2)
1-11 03 Dec 95 Stay with the Dead
1-12 17 Dec 95 The River of Stars
1-13 07 Jan 96 Who Monitors the Birds?
1-14 14 Jan 96 Level of Necessity
1-15 04 Feb 96 Never No More
1-16 11 Feb 96 The Angriest Angel
1-17 18 Feb 96 Toy Soldiers
1-18 03 Mar 96 Dear Earth
1-19 24 Mar 96 Pearly
1-20 12 Apr 96 R & R
1-21 19 Apr 96 Stardust
1-22 20 Apr 96 Sugar Dirt
1-23 26 May 96 And If They Lay Us Down to Rest... (1)
1-24 02 Jun 96 ...Tell Our Moms We Done Our Best (2)
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Slagar

Boy, a promising show airing on the Fox network canceled before it's time? Where have I heard that recently?
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:32 AM   #3
harada357
Shuttle Pilot

Great show. Now there a lot of 3D models based on SAAB out there. Does anyone know if someone made a MESH model of the CHIG Alien in aromor? It would be a cool 3D charactor?

Harada357
harada357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Dunno about that, but these meshes you speak of are available right here at 3DG in LW format
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:23 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Scifi meshes used to have some chig, I think one was a soldier in armor. Maybe after they get the meshes section back up the person that uploaded it will upload again. :evil:
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Northwatch
Shuttle Pilot

I wondered what happened at SciFi Meshes. Do you think it would be long before that section is up?
Northwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Unfortunately Aceman ran that site and several others on his own server that bit the bullet. So, now he's all over the place dealing with getting his sites back up on a system that won't have the same problem and dealing with real life too.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:00 PM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

...ummm Just when did it go down? Again? I was there getting the Max meshes back when I made the LW conversions. So it went down again in the last month/few weeks????
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:18 PM   #9
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Aceman's single hard drive he was using to run that site, militarymeshes and host several others died a few weeks ago, about a week or so after you did those conversions. He just got a new system with 2 250 GB hard drives the primary backing up to the secondary every 3 hours. Unfortunately he tried to recover the old data but was unable to so you have to register there again. If you want the full skinny, it's on the temporary front page for the site.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:35 PM   #10
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

So it went down about the same time my own PC went down.

Weird.

...and no wonder I didn't know
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:37 PM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. Fortunately your site isn't operated on your PC or I'd have gone friggin' nuts (short trip) not having a scifi forum to hang out in.
Old October 5th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #12
Ferreira

big fan of the show, it was outrageous the form they ended the show, it was and it still is the best sci-fi show ever(well, side by side with the new battlestar galactica)!
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:25 PM   #13
deprondave

The Show was a little dark for me, but well executed.
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #14
wrenchman

Default Re: Space: Above and Beyond - What is it?

Why is it that shows like this and firefly get canceled. I liked this show a lot, but then that is probably why it got canceled, Most of the shows I like get canceled.
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #15
gmd3d
Admin

welcome wrenchman . it is a shame that SAAB was cancelled. bound to have been a money issue or viewer numbers. I liked it also but as the post above says . it was a little dark at times .. lighting and such,

the characters where just coming together for me at the last few episodes

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #16
tgep

Now here's another Nugget that fell victim to the Fox policy axe. Iremember this one well. I've seen a few Hammerhead meshes here and there but I lost those links when my 'puter bit the big silicon wafer.

" The River of Stars " was the story I liked best. ....... and I was never overly fond of pancakes either.

You can get a mesh for the ISS-APC over at the main Orbiter add on hangar. It was done by Jon Marcure.

http://http://orbithangar.com/advsearch.php?text=ISSAPC&search=everything&category=0&subcat=0&OrbVer=default

Last edited by tgep; February 27th, 2011 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Link added
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #17
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgep View Post
Now here's another Nugget that fell victim to the Fox policy axe. Iremember this one well. I've seen a few Hammerhead meshes here and there but I lost those links when my 'puter bit the big silicon wafer.

" The River of Stars " was the story I liked best. ....... and I was never overly fond of pancakes either.

You can get a mesh for the ISS-APC over at the main Orbiter add on hangar. It was done by Jon Marcure.

http://http://orbithangar.com/advsearch.php?text=ISSAPC&search=everything&category=0&subcat=0&OrbVer=default
We have a good selection of SAAB here , Hammerhead included

http://www.3dgladiators.net/dloads/c...at_id=9&page=1

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #18
skullangel

It was a good show caught it in its original run...

Its like modern problems with future technolgies, bridging our Present with the future... Interestingly enough its pretty much like SG-1 but the execution and the audience wasnt there yet... If they made it during stargate it wold in my humble opinon would have gone the distance... Albeit maybe with better studio backing... They could reimagine it galatica style... Which I think could yeild interestin results!
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #19
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

COOL Re: Space: Above and Beyond - What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullangel View Post
They could reimagine it galatica style...
Why ruin it?
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #20
RedEyes
Shuttle Pilot

I thought it was more like the newer BSG than SG1 in the first place. Had a gritty dark side, but filmed without the hand cam technique. Enjoyed it a lot, it's next to firefly to me as the one season shows I wished had gotten another shot.
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #21
tgep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes View Post
I thought it was more like the newer BSG than SG1 in the first place. Had a gritty dark side, but filmed without the hand cam technique. Enjoyed it a lot, it's next to firefly to me as the one season shows I wished had gotten another shot.
Well, with hollywood having no real talent for creating anything new that's actually worthwhile, there's at least a 50/50 shot of the show getting remade.
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #22
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgep View Post
Well, with hollywood having no real talent for creating anything new that's actually worthwhile, there's at least a 50/50 shot of the show getting remade.
The problem is that there are probably new things submitted in Hollywood all the time but the studio execs do a risk/reward assessment and feel it's not worth it, so they go with "safe" things that are similar to what has been done before or remakes. It's pretty sad.
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #23
tgep

Can you imagine how good the show would be if they got ahold of some good writers ( NOT the hacks from SGU ) , used todays CGI FX, and recast thye show with actors who are actually Marine Corp veterans ?

They could litteraly blow away all competition.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #24
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I don't know if a bunch of jarheads would make a good cast or not. However, a Marine Corps. Drill Sergeant might be in order. After you sign some actors, hand them over to the Drill Sgt. for a boot camp-ish training schedule, let them get a feel for what it's really like to be in service. If anybody complains, send them packing and sign somebody else. Also, you'd have to have at least one former jarhead attached to the writers, not necessarily as writer but as a technical expert who could make sure they got the military stuff right. You have to worry about details like that if you really want a show or movie to work.

I was in the US Army and I hate it when they get military stuff wrong in shows and movies. I watched 3 or 4 episodes of The Unit before I realized their writers sucked and that clearly nobody who had been in the Army was involved in that show. After that, I stopped watching.

Though, I don't remember S:aAB and I don't remember how good the military aspects were. (besides, that was long before I joined the Army)
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #25
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

The military aspects were pretty good in S:AaB, and the show was in the future. The military won't be the same as it is now, just like now the military is different than say... WWII.
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #26
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, you've gotta account for the Sci-Fi aspects. As long as they don't do anything too blatantly bad like major chain of command violations or anything. (which won't fly in any era) There will be a lot of policy and method changes between now and then. A lot of the stuff that mostly annoys me in Sci-Fi military stuff is things like bad tactics. There's no call for stuff like that when all you need is to do a little research.

One thing I love about Firefly is that it's definitely non-military. It's just normal(ish) people living their lives in space. There aren't a whole lot of space shows like that.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #27
Jedman67
Photoshop Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
One thing I love about Firefly is that it's definitely non-military. It's just normal(ish) people living their lives in space. There aren't a whole lot of space shows like that.
there was starfighter 2300. kinda like a lame, canadian knockoff of firefly
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #28
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedman67 View Post
there was starfighter 2300. kinda like a lame, canadian knockoff of firefly
You mean Starhunter? (the second season was called Starhunter 2300) I've watched a couple episodes on Hulu, it's not too bad. It's no Firefly but it's entertaining.

I know there have been non-military space shows, there just aren't a lot. Lost in Space wasn't exactly military either.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #29
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Earth2 wasn't military either.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #30
Jedman67
Photoshop Wizard

starhunter, yeah. i couldnt get through the second episode, it was too weird