Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:45 AM   #61
richmerk
Shuttle Pilot

The trend nowadays seems to be to remake old stuff.

Starsky and Hutch
The Dukes of Hazzard
Battlestar Galactica
Wild Wild West
etc.

I wish the next Trek movie would take us further into the future, not back into the past where we've already been.
richmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #62
mav1234

I think with this new film they're trying to re-energize the "beginning" of Star Trek. I read an article some time ago that said something along the lines of they believed Enterprise was too early and they needed to bring back the two characters that really made Star Trek great.

This is the first time in a long time there hasn't been a Star Trek TV series going in a long time, so part of me wonders if this isn't an attempt to start one up.
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #63
bLuTm8

Hi everybody

I dislike this time based concept, cloned from starwars: 1st the newest, then the past and so on...

For me this would sounds much better: 80 years after the return of the Voyager, the federation now have some new alliances with the delta quadrant humans, there comes the almost biggest apocalyptic scenery ever.

A new unknown race, familar with time manipulation, will rearrange/rebuild the whole galaxy. Stuff to integrate the timeship story from Voyager and so on....
Startrek 12

for the non germans:

"ST12: The end of time - Our future has always ending"

* sorry for my poor english *

regards blutm8
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #64
KnightRider

I was thinking about the prequel concept. There is an old Trek novel, The first Adventure, written by Vonda McIntyre. It tells the story of how the crew of the 1701 came together. Maybe J. J. Adams can borrow some ideas from that novel...
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #65
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLuTm8
Hi everybody

I dislike this time based concept, cloned from starwars: 1st the newest, then the past and so on...
Or it could be based off a concept Gene Roddenberry first mentioned at a 1975 Star Trek convention. He said he wanted to make a Star Trek movie that would flash back to when Kirk and the gang first met at Starfleet Academy. The idea was revisited for ST6. It was supposed to allow the producers to save money by not having to pay William Shatner and the gang for more than a few scenes before and after the flashback but the idea was abandoned and "The Undiscovered Country" script was written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider
I was thinking about the prequel concept. There is an old Trek novel, The first Adventure, written by Vonda McIntyre. It tells the story of how the crew of the 1701 came together. Maybe J. J. Adams can borrow some ideas from that novel...
That's an awesome novel. I have a copy of that one also. It also explains why some Klingons have brow ridges and some don't. It's a caste system, not the genetic engineering excuse they came up on Enterprise. (though I like that one also.) The Klingons that had brow ridges were a servant race to the Klingons without ridges. It would've been interesting to see that line of thought continued to the point where someone writes a revolt scenario where the Klingons with brow ridges kill their masters and take over.

The latest "leak" of the script is that it will be a movie with Kirk and the gang and it will be pre-TOS. Maybe at the academy, maybe later when Kirk first assumes command of the Enterprise. They're also rumored to be considering using the original Constitution-class, not some kind of hybrid, but that's just a rumor. As is usually the case, the movie and script are a closely guarded secret.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #66
gmd3d
Admin

I hope they don't make a Hybrid of the Enterprise .. its a classic design .. the reworked cgi in the TOS that currently been worked on is as far as they should go ...IMO

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #67
KnightRider

I aggree. If they want to achieve the TOS feeling, they need to show TOS style.
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #68
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'd go redesign before I went hybrid, if I were them. 'Specially with the large amount of ST fans who don't like Enterprise out there.

OK, just to throw some fuel on the fire.

I just read at SFM that reliable sources say that J.J. Abrams is trying to get Tom Cruise to have a cameo in the movie as Christopher Pike. Whadaya think of that?

Last edited by evil_genius_180; August 8th, 2007 at 11:23 PM..
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:57 PM   #69
chimera46

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180
I just read at SFM that reliable sources say that J.J. Abrams is trying to get Tom Cruise to have a cameo in the movie as Christopher Pike. Whadaya think of that?
Wow, that would be a good way to tank the franchise, and squander a lot of the budget on a cameo for a falling A-List actor when it should be spent on blowing stuff up and/or buying more green skin paint for the Orion Slave Girls.
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:41 PM   #70
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, it was just a dirty rumor anyway. Cruise's people set the story straight later, I just forgot to post that.
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #71
Kai
Victorian Engineer

according to the BBC Scotty could well be played by.... Simon 'Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz' Pegg... not a choice I'd seen coming.. but, since Pegg can act.... he could well be a good one...
The shakes become a warning
It is by Caffiene alone I set my mind in Motion
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM   #72
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Ben Affleck, as far as I know, was never officially tied to the project. He's mostly turning his sights towards directing these days anyway. I think he's going to do less acting and pursue that avenue. But what's wrong with Matt Damon? He's a good actor. As much as I love Captain Kirk, William Shatner is just an OK actor, not a good one.

As far as what they want to do, J.J. Abrams wants to revitalize the franchise. He's always wanted to do a ST movie or show and, now that he has his chance, he's going to do his best to make it good. Obviously, the powers-that-be at CBS/Paramount want to revitalize the franchise, otherwise they wouldn't have canned Rick Berman (Roddenberry's hand-picked successor) and hired J.J. Abrams, who brought his own production team aboard.

Either way, Trekkies will cry. They're crying already. Many of them, without even having seen what the movie is going to be about or even who is going to be in it (besides Leonard Nimoy and that dude from Heroes,) have already decided that it's going to suck. And the funny part is, they're mostly basing that off of what Star Trek became under Rick Berman and he has absolutely nothing to do with the project, so it's pointless to even compare the new movie to what was done before. But people always do that about new movies and shows.
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #73
sgreco1970

heh one thing he could do to revitalize the franchise would be to release the iron-grip on fandom. Ever since they put copyright watchdogs at the conventions, stripped the internet of fan screen caps and sounds (thus destroying st:insv) and other perfectly legal, understandable yet narrowsighted moves, theyve helped fandom dwindle to all but the old guard. If they were smart, they'd return things to the way they were with fan-made props at conventions for sale and screengrabs littered all over the internet -driving fandom and keeping their properties popular and in demand. Oh well, hehe.

As far as this new film? Ive been saying for years they need to retell the originl series with a young, famous cast and big budget fx, much like BSG has done. About dern time. Spock's casting sounds fine, albeit it will be big shoes for any actor to fill, even McCoy's seems fitting. But Kirk? Eh, time will tell but so far he isn't jazzin me. All things considered, however, I can't wait to see this film and hope its good enough to spark many sequels. The only fear is, will it end up like Batman. "Gee, another trek film, cool! But hey, did you hear who's playing spock THIS time?"
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #74
sgreco1970

Default cast list

Chris Pine as Capt. Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Karl Urban as Dr McCoy, Simon Pegg as Scotty, Zoë Saldana as Uhura, John Cho as Sulu and Anton Yelchin as Chekov.

Christopher Pike will also be in the movie, his casting is not yet released.

btw, JJ Abrams, the director, is on strike with the WGA so production has ground to a standstill.