Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old April 28th, 2002, 03:46 PM   #1
Delenn

Default Question about Blender

Okay, I am new to this blender program (new to this stuff al together) And im trying to follow a tutorial to make a simple planet. Im getting stuck here where it says:
Click on the little red ball (materiials section) now, and click this button, and choose add new.

Now click this button (texture selection) and repeat the process above for adding a new texture.

my problem is... THERSE IS NO ADD NEW BUTTON IN THE MATERIALS SELECTION.!!

I know what the button for the "Add new" is supost to look like, its supost to look kind of like a minus sign, it is no where there, theres one in the texture selection, but not in materials. and the texture one dont work until you have the materials one.

So Im just wondering if I missed something, and I have to de select something or what ever im doing wrong for this button to show up.

any help greatly thanked,

Delenn
Old April 28th, 2002, 04:00 PM   #2
General Phoenix
3DG Administrator Emeritus

I moved this to the 3D Program Q/A forum. That'll keep it from getting buried by new artwork...

You might want to try posting over at http://www.b5-blender.com - check in Blender Help in the forums.
Old April 28th, 2002, 06:55 PM   #3
Enlightenment

Default Re: Question about Blender

Quote:
Originally posted by Delenn

my problem is... THERSE IS NO ADD NEW BUTTON IN THE MATERIALS SELECTION.!!
Ah, Blender. Probably the only 3D package that makes Povray look user-friendly.

Unless things have changed since version 2.12:

Do this just after opening Blender so you can find the buttons, then try again while you're following the steps in whatever tutorial you're using

Hit F5 (or click on the red sphere) for the materials screen. Look along the bar that the red sphere is on until you see the text 'MA: Material.' To the left of the 'M' will be a button that looks like a minus sign. Point to it and hold down the left mouse button. Select 'add new' from the menu.

The text 'MA: Material' will change to 'MA: Material.001' to indicate that the new material has been added.

That's it.

Isil'zha veni.
Old April 30th, 2002, 08:34 AM   #4
A2597

Yep yep, he's got the right of it.
*Thinks for a sec*
Looks like your doing my tutorial AT B5-blender...but no little - sign you say? that is weird...

should be right here:

If it isn't there...then I'd say that something really funky is going on...
Old May 1st, 2002, 12:17 PM   #5
Admiral R.A.J.

to answer the question in your sig, no you aren't and welcome to the mighty club, of which there are two. One of whom is you, and the other is me.
Old May 1st, 2002, 05:05 PM   #6
Enlightenment

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral R.A.J.
to answer the question in your sig, no you aren't and welcome to the mighty club, of which there are two. One of whom is you, and the other is me.
Three.

While I have used Blender on occasion, all the things I've posted here have been done with Povray, which is zero-cost and has partially-available source. I do most of my modeling these days with Wings3D, which is not only zero-cost but also BSD-style open-source.

Last edited by Enlightenment; May 6th, 2002 at 11:32 PM..
Old May 6th, 2002, 07:15 PM   #7
Delenn

Thank you guys for helping me out I finished the tutoiral and made a planet that looks kind of like Mars...
Also, thank your fore reccomending other free programs, I think I am going to try that wings one.

Cheers.

Delenn
Old May 6th, 2002, 11:45 PM   #8
Enlightenment

Quote:
Originally posted by Delenn

Also, thank your fore reccomending other free programs, I think I am going to try that wings one.
There's a lot more free stuff out there, too. A few names to feed to Google:

SPatch
Hamapatch
Now3D
Maya learning edition
GMAX
BMRT
Radience
Art of Illusion
StrataPro
OpenFX

None of these are really in the same league as the pro packages such as Lightwave, 3DSMax, Maya and Softimage, but it's generally possible to scrape together a combination of zero-cost tools that's good enough for most amature work. A fairly common combination is to pair several object modelers (e.g. Hammapatch and Wings3d) with a high quality rendering engine such as Povray or BMRT.
Old May 8th, 2002, 03:37 PM   #9
Admiral R.A.J.

OpenFX, ugh, shudders, remembers horrible dream of a long forgotten piece of software which ruined his life! Damn it!!!
Old May 11th, 2002, 03:38 PM   #10
ToEJaM-AndroidMemory

Gmax is good for games although no rendering capabilities. I personally enjoy the now lowered priced Lightwave 7....1250 and the right place....and upgrade to 7.5 is free