Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old August 24th, 2002, 10:22 PM   #1
Mike

Default Tolkien's other books

Now that I've made a large dent into The Lord of the Rings, I've become enchanted by "Middle Earth". I've discovered that there are many other books by Tolkien on the subject. My question is, should I bother reading those as well?
Old August 24th, 2002, 10:28 PM   #2
Sho

The only "Middle-earth books" Tolkien wrote aside from LotR are, afaik, The Hobbit and the Silmarillion. The whole Unfinished Tales collections were compiled after his death by his son. "The History of the Lord of the Ring" (12 books, iirc) was written by Christopher Tolkien.
Old August 25th, 2002, 02:15 AM   #3
Chris B
The Artist Formerly Known as XmESs
Quote me!

as far as i have heard the Silmarillion was written by christopher too. it was based on notes of his father that go back till 1918something.

it's well worth reading´, if you like bible-style writing.

"And then Feanor went there, there he slaughterd him, then he went here and there...."

it's very good however to know what happend in the past. much easier to understand what's going on in the present times of sauron, peasent of Melkor aka Morgoth Bauglir
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 10:05 PM   #4
Mike

I bought the A-Z guide to Middle Earth to help me retain some of the history of Middle Earth. I use it to look up names I run across in the Fellowship. It makes for a slow going, but I figure I should take my time to retain a detailed knowledge of the whole story. I'm affraid the Simarillon might be just too much to retain, perhaps an audiobook might help .
Old August 26th, 2002, 02:05 AM   #5
Chris B
The Artist Formerly Known as XmESs
Quote me!

that's true allright...the silmarillion has a whole numbe of names to teach to you.

and a was son of b, who was daughter of c who is the grandson of d, who has been to place a in time g :O
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 06:27 AM   #6
Mike

Sounds about right
Old September 5th, 2002, 07:36 PM   #7
Nadia

I loved The Silmarillion! It did read like a history book, but I like history books...
Old September 5th, 2002, 08:34 PM   #8
Mike

My schedule is impossible now. I'll be lucky to squeeze in the last 50 pages of The Fellowship.