Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On! > Versus
Notices
Versus TV and/or movie franchises compared/versus another of its kind.

View Poll Results: Which was better?
Space- Above and Beyond 3 50.00%
Firefly 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31st, 2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

COOL S: AaB vs Firefly

S: AaB synopsis- This was a short-lived mid-90s American science fiction television show on the FOX Network, created and written by Glen Morgan and James Wong. Originally planned for five seasons, it ran only for the single 1995–1996 season. It was nominated for two Emmy Awards and one Saturn Award. More recently, it was ranked "50" in IGN's top 50 Sci-Fi TV Shows, discribed as "yet another sci-fi show that went before its time".

Set in the years 2063–2064, the show focuses on the "Wildcards", members of the United States Marine Corps Space Aviator Cavalry, 58th Squadron. They are stationed on the space carrier USS Saratoga, and act as infantry and pilots of SA-43 Endo/Exo-Atmospheric Attack Jet ("Hammerhead") fighters.

------------

Firefly synopsis- Firefly is an American space western television series created by writer and director Joss Whedon, under his Mutant Enemy Productions label. Whedon served as executive producer, along with Tim Minear.

The series is set in the year 2517, after the arrival of humans in a new star system, and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship. The ensemble cast portrays the nine characters who live on Serenity. The show explores the lives of some people who fought on the losing side of a civil war and others who now make a living on the outskirts of the society, as part of the pioneer culture that exists on the fringes of their star system. In addition, it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures as well.

Which was better, and why?

Have at it!
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2
tgep

Default Re: S: AaB vs Firefly

I gotta Say S:AaB.

Not only did the show have great writting but it also put the Characters in a variety of situations that any ANY marine faces while in combat. The stories dealt with a variety of issues while keeping true to the Esprit-De-Corp you will only find among U.S.Marines.

Firefly had less time to develop but it held great promise. If it had survived longer, the choice woulda been slightly harder to make but I like seeing my Eagle, Globe, and Anchor " out there ".
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Dangerous

Definitely Firefly, one of my favorite all-time shows. The actors did a tremendous job with an amazing, original premise. Whedon is a good storyteller.

S:AaB wasn't bad, but from military sci-fi I would prefer Reimagined BSG.
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #4
gmd3d
Admin

Firefly, I liked better ... (while it did take me a long time to get into it). but the jumping between English and whatever the other one was put me off for a long time.

S:AaB. from what I remembers was always shot very dark, for that reason is possibly .

why I never got into it... but I did like the last episode

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #5
gilgamesh

To be fair, I saw very little of S:AaB... but I guess that's kind of telling. When I did see it, it didn't grab me at all. I completely agree with you, Taranis, that it seemed very dark. I like the "gritty" more than "polished" look when it comes to sci-fi, but S:AaB just seemed... blah.

My first exposure to Firefly was actually catching a fragment of "Serenity" near the end. It tuned in just as <spoiler> <spoiler>ed, and then the epic <spoiler> where <spoiler> totally <spoiler>ed those <spoiler>s! I couldn't look away! ... And couldn't, for the life of me, figure out who these people were and what the hell they were doing...

Curiosity got the best of me and last year I picked up the Firefly series and Serenity on Blu-Ray. My wife and I finished the series and the movie in two sittings, I think. Every episode got better and better. I'm very depressed that that show didn't make it further.
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I only saw a few episodes of S:AaB when they originally aired. (I was in high school at the time and missed a lot of good TV due to my studies ) Though, if I remember correctly, it was pretty sweet. I need to get those and check them out. Firefly is one of my favorite shows. I missed the original run due to a deployment to Afghanistan, though Warrior told me about it a few years ago and I'm now a mega fan. So, my choice has to be Firefly due to its awesomeness, though it's not fair for me to vote one way or the other on the poll since I don't remember S:AaB at all. (so I'm not voting)

BTW, Ger, the "other language" in Firefly was inaccurate Chinese.
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #7
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post

BTW, Ger, the "other language" in Firefly was inaccurate Chinese.
yes, Give me Klingon ...... I would have a better chance of understanding

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

I prefer S:AaB.

Lots of action in space, with some excellent situations.

Firefly was more talky, but excellent as well, with some good storylines.

But for me, S:AaB edges Firefly.
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #9
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

S:AaB is only $23.99 for the whole series on DVD at Amazon. I have to pay some bills first but I'll have to get it.
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Buy it through here: http://astore.amazon.com/lonewolfgrafi-20
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'll do that (whenever I can afford to.)