Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, Stargate, the movie or the TV shows?
Movie 3 27.27%
TV Shows 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 21st, 2006, 05:03 PM   #1
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

ATTENTION Stargate Movie Sequels!!

I just found out about this wonderful news. This is from an article on the SCI FI Wire:

Dean Devlin, co-writer and producer of the original Stargate movie, told SCI FI Wire that he has struck a production deal with MGM and is developing the long-delayed sequel feature films that will pick up the story from the 1994 original—but not the mythology subsequently elaborated on in the SCI FI Channel original series Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Devlin added that he hopes to enlist original stars Kurt Russell (Jack O'Neill) and James Spader (Dr. Daniel Jackson), who have expressed an interest.

Read the rest of the article

'Tis most wonderful news indeed. I, for one, look forward to this and hope both Kurt Russell and James Spader come back, they were great in the first one.

Also, I hope Roland Emmerich directs the sequels, I like a lot of his movies.

Last edited by evil_genius_180; July 21st, 2006 at 05:09 PM..
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:34 AM   #2
The Dyslexic One

That is hard. The movie is great but how could you keep that level on a TV show? The TV show is good in it's own way.
Ok, Movie
Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I don't know. I never got a chance to really watch the shows, so I'll only have the old movie to compare the new ones with.
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Unfortunately, this is in place:
Quote:
Plans for producing two sequels of the original film were announced by the original film's creator Dean Devlin at the 2006 San Diego Comic-Con. He has said he is currently in talks with MGM to produce four films and he would like two of them to be the final two films in his envisioned Stargate trilogy.[37] In an interview with Sci Fi Wire,[38] Devlin says that should the sequels be made, he hopes to enlist Kurt Russell and James Spader in the two sequels. These sequels would ignore the 11 years of mythology created by SG-1 and Atlantis if they are produced.

In the meantime, Lionsgate remains the major rights holder to the original film (any home video or theatrical reissue is now the responsibility of Lionsgate)--this was due to the fact that its predecessor, Live Entertainment, owned home video rights to the Carolco Pictures library and had also owned international distribution rights, although Carolco itself was on the brink of bankruptcy when they produced this film.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Hmm, sounds like these movies are still up in the air. I'd actually forgotten about this until you bumped the thread.

Of course, there's also the writer's strike to consider. Nothing is being produced right now unless it already had a script done when that started.
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #6
mikala
Master Pilot

Well the Series films are under way at least they look like they are from a recent look through the Stargate magazine on your local newstands!
A ton of pics on the production all very non-descript of course.
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Right. Series films are not to be confused with the Movie franchise films.

The Series films are, I believe, going straight to DVD.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
The Series films are, I believe, going straight to DVD.
That happens a lot with TV series films. They used to run them on TV (which was cool because you could watch them to see if you liked them) but I guess they make more money now that everyone has DVDs to just go straight there. Plus, that way, they don't have to line up network sponsorship.

Old April 29th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #9
Robot
Shuttle Pilot

The TV show I prefer more because it's more team work.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #10
viperr13

Default Re: Stargate Movie Sequels!!

I would will have to say the TV show
because I hate waiting a year or two between episodes
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:57 AM   #11
murby
Shuttle Pilot

I prefer TV show, precisely SG1
murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:46 AM   #12
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I keep forgetting about this thread. You TV show fans will be happy, they scratched these films a long time ago because of you. Though, in a way, they're also insulting you. They think you'll be confused if they do films based off of the first movie and not the shows.
Old August 30th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #13
KnightStalker
Shuttle Pilot

That's a shame, while I really like the TV shows (mostly SG-1), I would have enjoyed seeing DD's original movie sequels just to see the differences he had in mind from what was done with the TV series.
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Drog007
Shuttle Pilot

The movie was alright, but pretty forgettable overall. The now combined 17 seasons of TV it generated would not be able to be ignored without causing severe nerd rage.
Drog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #15
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It's hardly forgettable for me. I got the 15th Anniversary Blu-Ray of the movie a while back and I still freakin' love it. It's as good as it was when I saw it in the theater back in 1994. Though, I'll admit, the timing on a sequel would have been bad if they'd not scrapped the project. You can't do a film that's a sequel to the movie that ignores all of that TV. Granted, I'd have loved it, but nerds would have had their panties in a wad for sure. If they'd done the rest of the trilogy when they'd intended to, way back after the the movie came out and before the TV shows, it would have been good. But, now is the wrong time.