Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Reference Requests and Submissions
Notices
Reference Requests and Submissions Building a Spaceship and need ref? Maybe you designed something? Then pop on in here and ask about it or share it!

Old December 31st, 2001, 08:02 AM   #1
zyph9000

Default BSG font

Anyone know the font used for the Battlestar name on the hull of the ship?
Old December 31st, 2001, 10:47 AM   #2
Titon
Colonial Fleets

Hi! And welcome!

The font on the side of the Galactica's nameplate (i'm assuming you that's what your asking) is not a true font. The font was basically a hand made one when they assembled the ship. So to this day the font is not known. The closest i can come to is an ariel type font. I could show you if you like.

Question, do you have a Galactica that you should be showing us?????

LoL!

Again welcome

Old December 31st, 2001, 03:02 PM   #3
zyph9000

Yes, I did mean the nameplate font. I have a couple of ariel fonts, thanks. Thanks for the welcome too! I'm working on a model that was converted to trueSpace. There was some mesh errors in the nose, so I'm trying out some light textures. The Battlestar and Vipers were done by Allen Smith. I downloaded them at:

Battlestar Pegasus

Old January 2nd, 2002, 01:11 AM   #4
Jason .T

Here you go:-Battlestar Galactica font
Old January 3rd, 2002, 11:58 PM   #5
michaelfaries

Default The real typeface on the nameplates is...

The typeface used on the nameplates for the battlestars is a member of the Futura font family. I was told this by a member of the original Apogee f/x team. At the time, rub-on lettering was popular. Either the letters were actual rub-ons, or the letters were transferred/painted onto each nameplate, ie. the Galactica, Pegasus and Atlantia. (Those were the only battlestar nameplates ever seen up close.)

Interestingly, Douglas Trumbull used it on his spaceship exteriors in "Silent Running" (made before "Battlestar Galactica," mind you... and the same spaceship appeared as the Agro ship(s) on BSG). The lettering is particularly visible in an exterior shot featuring Lowell (Bruce Dern) near a window. The spacecraft name, Valley Forge, is seen beside the window.

Stay away from Helvetica (Arial) as the nameplate lettering.

Michael
...who is dating himself with the rub-on lettering mention. (lol)
:colwar: RichardHatch.com * BattlestarGalactica.com * BattlestarPegasus.com * GreatWarofMagellan.com * Space1999.org