Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old February 5th, 2001, 09:06 PM   #1
Godfrey

Default Memory Usage

Okay, so I'm relatively new to this whole Windows thing (I used OS/2 Warp until recently).

When I boot up my computer, before I even start any programs, I'm showing 165 MB free -- out of 256! Is it normal for Windows to take 91MB just to run in?!

------------------
Jeff Lee -- shipbrk@gate.net -- http://www.gate.net/~shipbrk/

Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est.
Old February 6th, 2001, 12:00 AM   #2
Lisa's Secret

Well, look at the manufacturers label, that one with the nice logo, and think about your question again.

*Only sticking with whinedows until Linux supports MAX properly*
Old February 6th, 2001, 05:02 AM   #3
Godfrey

Yeah, I knew Micro$oft produced bloated code, but come on! That's a little ridiculous, isn't it?

------------------

Old February 6th, 2001, 10:37 PM   #4
Tygerlander

memory? you should see how much space Windoze takes up on the hardrive

Tina

------------------
******* Tygerlander's Domain
******* Tygerskins Megastore (Poser textures and other goodies)
Old February 7th, 2001, 10:11 PM   #5
Spunkey

'4megs of ram will be enough for everyone'

sorry what was that bill?? did you say something? didnt quite catch ya.

i have 256 megs on win98, leaves me with around 200megs free after startup. press ctrl+alt+del and see what progs you have running from startup. get rid of everything except explorer and systray to clear up some ram.

------------------
'Happy happy, joy joy' - Ancient Wisdom
Old February 7th, 2001, 10:46 PM   #6
Godfrey

If I remember correctly, it was 640K that Bill thought was perfectly adequate. On the other hand, Ken Olsen, when he was CEO of Digital Equipment Corporation, made the rather amusing statement that "I see no reason why anyone would want to have a computer in their home."

It's out of date now, but one of my favourite movie clips was one of Bill Gates at a podium, proudly announcing "Of course, part of what you're seeing here at Comdex is a strong message that we believe OS/2 is the Platform for the Nineties." Ahhh, Bill. Open mouth, insert foot. With a cream pie chaser.

I discovered today that, with default settings, Windows ME will cheerfully continue to allocate more memory to its disk cache every time new data is accessed from the disk, without releasing older data, until there's no physical memory free.

If an application subsequently requests some memory, it will release the least-recently-used blocks to satisfy the request, but the System Information Tool (and the GlobalMemoryStatus() API function) doesn't take the discardable cache memory into account when returning the metric of free physical memory, hence the appearance that the system is running low.

Put a sufficiently large number of monkeys in front of a sufficiently large number of computers, and you don't get the complete works of Shakespeare -- you get Microsoft Windows!

(Hmmm... Windows Monkey Edition?)

------------------

Old February 9th, 2001, 05:01 PM   #7
TheMightySpud
Exec. Producer

Wow,

On my machine WinMe only takes about 2-4 Meg, depending on what kind of mood it's in.

Paul

------------------
"Due to lack of interest, tomorrow has been cancelled"

"If at first you don't succeed.........Improvise"

Phoenix Fleet : Project Farside
TheMightySpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2001, 03:53 AM   #8
Spunkey

ROFL @ win monkey edition

all i have in startup is a transparent icons prog, razer mouse and resource meter. even after closing them i am stuck with 92% free.

i reckon gates bought a share in ram manufacturers before MS released win95

------------------
'Happy happy, joy joy' - Ancient Wisdom
Old February 10th, 2001, 11:09 AM   #9
Kai
Victorian Engineer

OKies I dunno about ME but...

Windows is designed to load as much of itself into RAM as it can. So on my 80mb mcahine I will have only 20mb RAM free etc. the only way I've found to get round this is to use a 3rd party program such as the excellent MemTurbo, Memturbo 2

hope I've helped... and someone tell Gate$ that I don't need EVERY modem driver to load up!

Kai

------------------
ExFuture3D Member

'It is a good day for someone else to Die!' Old Dwarven Battle Cry
'A weapons induced thermo nuclear reaction can really spoil your lunch plans' - Kai on the Bridge of the Skyclad
'I'm so Paranoid..I think I'm out to get me!' Kai
'I'm a Test Pilot...for Airfix'
'Hello! My name is Inego Montoya, You killed Kenny - Prepare to Die!'
<The Southpark Bride>
'oh lord, won't you buy me a mk9 hawk... all my friends fly enterprises.. I must make em talk, worked hard all my lifetime, as a sci-fi dork, so lord, wont you buy me, a mark IX hawwwkk' - Dano-San (thanks mate )
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2001, 01:17 PM   #10
Lisa's Secret

The head of IBM once said that the total world market for computers was "Probably four at the most."

Dunno what that has to do with WIndows... which actually reminds me that I have to do a re-install sometime soon. My machine has been running on borrowed time, with an install that's over a year old now...