Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Fretslayer

Default Poser, Max, and LWO files

Hello everybody,

First off, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section.
I'm new around here and I'm still a little lost when it comes to navigating my way through the site.

Anyway, here are my questions.

I'm currently working on a Star Trek animation for a friend of mine. I've been animating for a few years using tools such as Bryce, Poser and MilkShape. A few months back I made the switch to Max. I'm still a bit green with the new tools but I'm doing pretty good.

What I am trying to figure out is this.

1) What can I do to get LWO files to import into Max? I've tried a few things like importing the mesh into MilkShape and then exporting it as either a OBJ or a 3DS file. When I do that, the mesh looks horrid in Max.

2) When I import a mesh (like the bridge of a Constitution class Starship) into Poser 6, the colours are all wrong and things that should be black are a sand colour. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong with that?

3) Does anybody know if there Is a program like "OBJAction mover" that will work with Poser 6? (poser 4 uses obj files and poser 6 uses obz)?

Sorry for so many questions in one post but I thought it would be rude to make a new post for each question.

Thank you in advance.
:cylon:
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Welcome. And, yes this is the right place for such questions and you can never ask too many. Remember, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. Hopefully some of us can help you out.

The problem with conversions is that modeling language is different from one program to another and the program you're importing into will have a problem reading the original program's language and stuff will look like it got photon torpedoed. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix this either.

As for importing stuff and the colors get screwed up, this happens. You'll have to repaint your stuff in the program you're using to render the model/scene. It happens to us all, so don't sweat it. That's why you'll see threads where people are doing massive work with converting meshes. It's a huge pain in the ass.

I don't know if any of this helps you or if you're where you were before, but that's what I have. Unfortunately, I've been doing this stuff about 6 years now and I'm still trying to figure it all out myself. :cylon:
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Fretslayer

Thanks for the reply and it does help... it helps to confirm what I had suspected.
I was just hoping for an easy way to do what I need done.
Oh well, the only reward of the easy path is that it is the easy path.

Thanks again.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:39 PM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I hear you. I've tried using that same path a few times but it wound up not being so easy after all.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Kai
Victorian Engineer

OBZ = OBJ Compressed. you can Decompress using the script provided in poser 6 or with Winzip.
The shakes become a warning
It is by Caffiene alone I set my mind in Motion
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Fretslayer

Thanks for the additional info.
I just noticed (DOH!) that I can open/convert the obz file to obj using Daz Studio.