Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:22 PM   #1
Masao

Default SF Museum Orbital Annex?

Masaki Taniko, who has worked with Bernd Schneider on the Wolf 359 Project, sent me this Andy Probert sketch for use as the basis of the Starfleet Museum orbital annex. http://starshipclass.com/temp/Probert_SB74.jpg

I figured that the SFM would likely be an abandoned Starfleet Facility, possibly an older HQ station, rather than a purpose-built museum. What I like about this design is the three layers of docking rings for different size ships. I also like the fact that it's not as big as one of those massive Spacedock structures with internal docking. What I might change would be to backdate it a bit to the TOS/Pre-TOS era. This could also be used for other space stations, of course.

A render of this with a bunch of ships attached would look great as the splash page for the museum!
Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:58 PM   #2
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

YES! I've been wanting to build the Museum! Cool pic.

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:24 PM   #3
Masao

Go, Thomas, Go! Since you've already modeled most of the museum ships, you have the easiest job of doing a scene with them all, I'm guessing. But there might also be some movie-era ships (Connie refit, Constellation, Excelsior, Oberth, and Miranda).

What I haven't quite worked out is the orientation of the docked ships. If the ships are backed in, as Enterprise D is in the sketch, we could see only the backs of the ships from the station and be forced to taked a travel pod out to see the front and sides of the ships (which people would do anyways). Maybe if the ships were berthed in such a way that their sides or front 3/4 could be seen from the station.

Other stuff this Annex needs are some big viewing windows, a shuttlebay, travelpod docks, and a gift shop. It should also have some places for workshops for maintenance. It wouldn't need too many communications antennae, since it's a decommisioned station.

Although the Museum exists in the 24th Century, I'm figuring the actually station dates from TOS/Pre-TOS. So it should have an old basic structure (should look contemporary with K-7 maybe or earlier) updated with some TNG-era doodads, like a few antennae, docking ports for larger ships, escape pods, etc. It should have the museum logo and the Starfleet logo on the side.