Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > The Help Zone
Notices
The Help Zone This is where questions are asked about how certain things work in your apps.

View Poll Results: Arsenal- Good or Bad?
It's Great! 0 0%
It Sucks! 0 0%
Dunno about it! 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #1
the3dgm

Default Any one know Arsenal?

Does anyone here know New Tek's Arsenal? Does it come with a Full version of LW 7.5 or a lite version? Can LW 7.5 run on a newer machine, that is PCI not AGP graphics?
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #2
etwtewtew

Default Re: Any one know Arsenal?

7.5 runs fine on a modern machine
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #3
the3dgm

Thanks for that!! Still haven't been able to find out if it's a full version of LW or a partial or lite Version and New Tek isn't talking. . .
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'm looking at the NewTek Arsenal page and it just says LW 7.5. If it was a version that's limited or a demo, I think they'd have to say so. But you're right; there's not a whole lot of information there. Not even system requirements. That's a stupid way to sell software, IMO.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #5
the3dgm

Thanks evil_genius_180 I was able to track down the system requirements, nothing more than you'd expect, other than the AGP Graphics card required, but, I would think maybe they only had AGP when 7.5 came out. etwtewtew says 7.5 runs well on a new machine so I'll take his word for it, however, I've been told by the person who wants to sell it that it is the full version and by two other people that they believe it is a lite version and New Tek dosen't answer e-mails. The price the guy is offering is good if it is the Full version, but, not good enough if it's not. So I'll pass since I simply can not find out.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

PCI Graphics cards have been out way longer than AGP cards. There has just been a resurgence in their popularity the last few years because you can and have always been able to do more with your PCI slots. It's just that when AGP came out everyone jumped on the bandwagon because they thought it was better because, at the time, it required a higher processor to run an AGP card. Then they started to come out with even better PCI slots and cards. It's a vicious cycle.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #7
the3dgm

I know, AGP can flow more graphics info the a PCI, what I'm talking about is my system doesn't even have an AGP port, it has the PCI x16 graphics port, which has a far larger flow of graphics data than the AGP port did. Even though I think graphics are getting a little out of control when they require their own power source and cost more than a low end computer. . .but that's me!

My question should have read does LW 7.5 look for an AGP slot and what happens when it doesn't find one?
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #8
etwtewtew

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
My question should have read does LW 7.5 look for an AGP slot and what happens when it doesn't find one?
It just installs normally. I've never had any trouble myself, and I know of people who are running versions as old as 5.6 without any problems.
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #9
etwtewtew

LW doesn't have any difficulties with PCI, as EG suggested the description is probably just a holdover from when AGP was more popular, but doesn't have any bearing on the actual installation process.
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #10
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Usually the graphics card requirement is only important in a few operations 3D and has no bearing on installation or general use of the program. Now, if you want to animate, you're talking about a whole different animal. But system requirements are also the minimum. It wants at least an AGP card and you have a PCI Express X 16 which, as you say, is more advanced, so you're good to go.

As for PCI vs. AGP, one advantage that AGP always had over PCI and still has over PCI Express ports is that, if you use all the built-in RAM from your AGP card, it can draw extra RAM from your system RAM, giving it a maximum that's much higher than what comes on the card. Even PCI Express X 16 can't do that.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #11
the3dgm

THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT!!! LOL The only reason I put a graphics card in my machines, OK there are other reasons, is so I have max ram for my programs. About 3.5 gigs out of my 4 gigs is available. I'm not a gamer and not into animation, I just wanted Arsenal as a way to final get Lightwave, but, some guy with more money than brains bought it. . .

Thanks guys!!!
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #12
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

So,what's drawing the other .5 gigs of RAM from your system? The only thing I can think of that would do that is a graphics card. Though it could also be that, if you're using Windows, it's just not showing your whole RAM amount.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #13
the3dgm

Windows XP Professional and thats is what takes up the other .5 gig it is used by the operating system, without a graphics card, just using the built in graphics chip, would remove another .25 to .5 of the available ram. Leaving 3.25 or just 3 gigs left for the programs.

Are you saying MACs don't use any ram or do they have separate ram for the system or does it simply not show how much ram is being used by the system? I has to use something.

Many Windows programs do not show what is being used by the system but XP, and some of my diagnostic programs do show exactly what is using how much.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #14
the3dgm

A point of interest if someone is using Vista on a windows machine the max available ram on a 32 bit system is 3 gigs even if you have 4 gigs in the machine and requires 2 gigs to run really effectively. What a waste!
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #15
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Windows XP Professional and thats is what takes up the other .5 gig it is used by the operating system, without a graphics card, just using the built in graphics chip, would remove another .25 to .5 of the available ram. Leaving 3.25 or just 3 gigs left for the programs.

Are you saying MACs don't use any ram or do they have separate ram for the system or does it simply not show how much ram is being used by the system? I has to use something.

Many Windows programs do not show what is being used by the system but XP, and some of my diagnostic programs do show exactly what is using how much.
I don't know what MACs do, I don't have one. I have an old PC running Windows XP Home Edition Basic with SP2. It shows me my total RAM, minus the bit used by my old graphics processor in the system properties. That's what I thought you were talking about. As for RAM usage by Windows itself, it doesn't use that much. You really only need 64 MB of ram to run the OS, according to the system requirements on the box, though they recommend you have at least 128 MB. So, I don't see why the OS would take that much RAM to run, especially in idle mode.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #16
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Vista requires 1GB of RAM.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #17
the3dgm

@e_g_180 here is something for you to try, press Ctrl-Alt-Del (at the same time of course) Select 'Processes' at the bottom of the little box on the right hand side there are two numbers write down the first one, the smaller of the two, and subtract that from your Physcial Ram. This will give you an idea of what you have for ram to run additional programs. If you don't have a virus program or firewall or Quicktime, etc. You may have a very small number of processes running and a good amount of ram available to your programs. Most systems I've seen, when people bring me their systems for repair, etc., have between 30 and 50 processes running at idle. You may have more or less on somewhere in between. I looked at my laptop and it has WinHome on it also and it reports Physcial Ram not Useable ram also.

@Warrior NO! However, it does need 2 gigs to run well and will only address a max of just over 3 gigs.

I'm sure you don't believe me so you may want to check a few articles on Vista, I've hardly read one that doesn't recommend a minimum of two gigs if you have anything other than Vista Basic. Also, you might notice that more and more systems are coming out with 2 or 3 gigs of ram if the operating system is Vista. They are not doing this because they like you! LOL
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #18
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Vista requires 1GB of RAM.
Then how are they selling "new" PCs with only 512 MB of RAM and the Windows Vista operating system? Though most you can buy have at least 1024 MB, there are still a few on sale that have 512 and they have the Vista OS.

And, while I was sitting here, I found the answer. According to the product details at Office Depot for Vista, the memory requirement of Vista is 512 MB, not 1 gig. And that's the recommended RAM, not the minimum. 'Cause it shows 128 as the requirement for XP and I know from looking at the XP box sitting on my desk that the recommended RAM is 128, the minimum is 64. I think I heard when it came out that the minimum for Vista is 256.

Now, that's not to say it doesn't run a hell of a lot better with 1 gig or greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm
@e_g_180 here is something for you to try, press Ctrl-Alt-Del (at the same time of course) Select 'Processes' at the bottom of the little box on the right hand side there are two numbers write down the first one, the smaller of the two, and subtract that from your Physcial Ram. This will give you an idea of what you have for ram to run additional programs. If you don't have a virus program or firewall or Quicktime, etc. You may have a very small number of processes running and a good amount of ram available to your programs. Most systems I've seen, when people bring me their systems for repair, etc., have between 30 and 50 processes running at idle. You may have more or less on somewhere in between. I looked at my laptop and it has WinHome on it also and it reports Physcial Ram not Useable ram also.
You can also bring that up by right-clicking on the taskbar and clicking on "task manager" on the pop-up menu. I know about all the processes, I was just confused about how you were figuring your RAM. I'd thought you were talking about your total RAM listed in the system properties, I didn't realize at the time that you were subtracting the usage of your system processes.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #19
the3dgm

A trick about what Office Depot is telling you there is, one; for the most part if the computer has only 512 of ram, you'll probably not get Vista Home Premium, it will be basic. Two; with only 512 ram you may have problems turning on lightbox, or what ever they call the advanced graphics in Vista, and if it does work, then you start running into problems running your programs.

A friend of mine got a Vista machine a short time ago, after playing with it for a few days, he e-mailed me and said it 'It looks pretty, but work for (beep)', I asked him how much ram it came with, 1 gig, and advised him to add a second, his machine will only hold two {STUPID}.

He, finally, got the second gig of ram, and is a very happy puppy now, also, he does not work with graphics.

Here's something else to confuse you more, maybe I should change my name to evil_the3DGM, lol, on a 32-bit system, 64-bit systems are a whole new ballgame, running XP, most systems will report only 3.25 or 3.5 gigs of ram, if it's less then the 3.25 gigs, like 2.5, get another computer. This is because of the system BIOS, not windows. Some BIOS will show less ram when adding graphics cards, sound cards, etc.

Getting into computers is fun, Huh!!!
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #20
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

I just bought a new PC late last year, and the Vista it came with requires at *least* 1GB to run it.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #21
the3dgm

The Business and Premium versions of Vista require 1 gig to run, the Basic and Home Premium version can, supposedly, run on a 512 system.

Microsoft has now admitted telling manufactures, HP, Gateway, Dell, etc. that machines they said were 'Windows Vista Capable', remember all those quit little stickers, were not before Vista came out. This is one of the main reasons Vista has done so badly, coupled with business that can not afford the heavy cost of upgrading all of their hardware to use Vista. I know of one company, a major biggie in the paint/chemical industry, that is still using Win 98 on all their corporate systems.

Maybe it's time to finally look at a MAC?
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #22
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Mine is the Home version of Vista, and came on a Compaq/HP PC. Lemme see if I can dig up the old link for it.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #23
the3dgm

It could be a later computer where the manufactures had learned the 'true' requirements or it may have had to do with them having 'lightbox', whatever, turned on and the software it shipped with.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #24
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...&lang=en&cc=us

That's my PC.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #25
the3dgm

Nice little machine Warrior! A couple of things, that perhaps HP/Compaq can explain better than I've been able to:

NOTE: Important! You may find that your HP or Compaq computer is able to support a physical installation of 4 GB or more memory. However, this maximum memory may be further limited by the operating system not being able to address the full range of physical memory. For 32-bit operating systems, Windows Vista and XP 32-bit editions can address approximately 3.3 GB. This limitation is present on all 32-bit hardware and 32-bit operating systems and is not limited to HP and Compaq systems.

From my experience XP upto 3.5 Vista up 3.0!

and

Windows Vista comes in a variety of editions. All versions of Vista have a minimum memory requirement of 512 MB (1 GB to take advantage of certain premium features, such as Aero graphics). The maximum amount of memory depends on the edition used:
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #26
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

COOL Re: Any one know Arsenal?

Quote:
(1 GB to take advantage of certain premium features, such as Aero graphics)
This is what I was talking about above.
Sure, Vista will load up on 512, but to RUN anything worthwhile, you need the gig, hence, Vista requires 1G of RAM

Now... I can't really explain anything about the ol PC, because I bought it for its price and it seeming to be able to do what I basically need and the old PC was dying!
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #27
the3dgm

Actually, since you have or should have 2 gigs is why your system is running well. (That's according to the spec sheet you showed me) 2 gigs is what I and nearly every computer magazine recommends anyway.
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #28
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Who says it runs well? It's Vista, and Vista sucks! If I had a choice, I'd have gotten the PC with XP (and Win98 was perhaps the BEST of any of them. I ran it and 2000 on the old PC, but they can't handle super large HD's)
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #29
the3dgm

Define a super large HD or are you talking about HD video and not hard drives?
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #30
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Hard drives. Win2K can't handle over ...what was it... Damn! I forget what it was, but it couldn't handle my new 500GB drive I bought. I had two 40GB drives in it.