Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 29th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #1
Sean Kennedy
Treybor

Default Human modelling attempts (Warning:Some Nudity)

I was asked by a member of another forum about how long it took me to develop my modeling skills for human models.
I posted this response listed below. I thought I would also post it here and see if anyone had any suggestions:

Firstly, this is a representation of about 3 1/2 years of learning different modeling methods-so don't be too cruel.

This is the very first spline model I ever did of a human. The polygon count was attrocious and there are definite errors throughout.

This is the first face I was able to come up with using low res textures and poser hair objects

This is the same face with a different body and different textures.

This is was new face with some test textures

This was a test of my 15th female mesh. I modelled it in this shape as I had no clue how to use bones yet. Still Using Poser hair... :P

This was still another face with polygon hair.

This was still another try at a correct human face.

This was still another try at a correct human face. This time with med resolution textures.

By this point I had multiple face and head models. I took the best pieces of each and added some better textures.

A few months later I was asked to do CG people for the "Rising Threat" Star Wars fan film. This is a picture of the original actors, Clay and Ryan.

And these are the CG characters. While trying to makle them look as realistic as possible I learned a lot of new modeling skills and I switched to LW 7.

with these new skills & tools I began to work on a new female mesh This mesh also used bones--which unfortunately caused the body to distort...But still I was not pleased with the results...Anyone know a good bones tutorial? :P

Finally, in the last two months I've been working on a nurbed female mesh that I hope to eventually animate--Many thanks to Cobre for showing off his box modelling training http://lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18060. I still seem to have an issue making the face realistic--the nose and ears just don't look quite right. I think I got these eyes right by using a lightwave tutorial on modeling and surfacing an eye, but I still seem to have some issues with the toes, teeth, knees, and CG hair.

and the hi-res version (be warned 1384x1500 image)

That's a brief history of what I've done. If anyone has any suggestions or comments please feel free to post them here. I'm still trying to learn and will tkae any comments very seriously.

www.seansgallery.com

Last edited by Sean Kennedy; June 29th, 2004 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: title change
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #2
JasonA

Looks pretty good sean, i like how you're paid special detail to the anatomy of the body. The muscle groups look good and you've captured the female hips really well. nice work! I especially like the last pic with the naked / clothed woman, it looks like it'll be a great model to rig and animate.

I have one suggestion for it, and that it the shoulder / upper arm area seems a bit thin and perhaps could be plumped up just a tad. but just a tad. Anyways, I'd like to see more updates on face progression too. Overall, nice work!
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #3
Sean Kennedy
Treybor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA
Looks pretty good sean, i like how you're paid special detail to the anatomy of the body. The muscle groups look good and you've captured the female hips really well. nice work! I especially like the last pic with the naked / clothed woman, it looks like it'll be a great model to rig and animate.

I have one suggestion for it, and that it the shoulder / upper arm area seems a bit thin and perhaps could be plumped up just a tad. but just a tad. Anyways, I'd like to see more updates on face progression too. Overall, nice work!

Thanks Jason. Now what I need to learn is how to make bones and skelegons work....

www.seansgallery.com
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote