Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old March 1st, 2003, 01:09 AM   #1
Proximo

Default I'm on the beta-test for EVE Online!

WOOHOO!

But I can't say anymore than that because of a non disclosure agreement.

Eve Online
Old March 1st, 2003, 08:31 AM   #2
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Man am I jealous! I signed up some time ago and they never responded
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:02 AM   #3
Arrghman

Well... I'm on the beta test for SW:Galaxies! So there!

I've been following EVE for a while now, can't wait to get my hands on that...
Old March 5th, 2003, 02:07 AM   #4
Fëanor

well, I'm beta testing for...for...for...ok well so I'm not beta testign for anything! :p
Old March 27th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #5
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Okay - so I finally got invited (the day after Proximo). So far, don't get excited about it that's for sure. Giving them slack for the fact that it is not really beta but more an alpha (bugs galore - server hangs - changing rules - etc) this game sucks.

Looks great but you have to spend, literally, 50hrs to get enough skills and money to upgrade anything that is useful. They seem to be heading towrads making it even harder than that - the internal chat folks are always complaining about it.

AND... to really piss me off, after I finally get enough freak'n money to upgrade my ship and mining equip (all you really can do at first is mine) the game locks out my player!!!!!! I had to start over.

Unless they really do something hugh they are gonna fall flat on thier faces.
Old March 27th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #6
Kakaze

I got accepted to the beta just a couple days ago. haven't downloaded it yet though.
Old March 28th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #7
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Well the download to start is ~400MB (this is supposed to be a CD when they release). I went ahead and created a new character and went out to the boonies to a rich ore field and started recooping my wealth. Unfortunately, they changed the rules (again) and the amount of rare ore required to refine has doubled and makes it extremely hard to get enough in less than 5 hours of play. This means - you just sit on your ass and listen to the music or chat with other players.

Some noobies have used the trading system (which did not work when I started) and have maded money much quicker. The game does get interesting when your skills improve and you can afford to upgrade equipment.
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #8
Kakaze

Oh god...it sounds like they're turning it into Sims Online. Work and work and work and work and work and work, and after 10 hours you'll have enough for half a toilet for your house.
Old March 28th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #9
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

I hoping that the feedback they get will change that. Unfortunately not all the features are yet implemented and those that are change often. It may turn out that my concerns are poo but I would be hesitant to pay for this at the stage it is in now.
Old March 28th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #10
Kakaze

Hahaha...people on the Sims Online boards were literally screaming for them to change the game and not only did they release it WAY too early (gotta love the christmas money grubbing) but with each patch they made it increasinly worse.
Old April 13th, 2003, 12:52 AM   #11
Fëanor

The only reason I have the sims is so I can load them into sim city 4 and fry them with lightning bolts *evilgrin*
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #12
Kakaze

Anyone else in this beta too?

Is it just me or did they end the beta about 12 hours earlier than they said they would?

When I was able to connect to the gemini site the news, dated 5/5 said after 0900 GMT tomorrow it would be open.

Yet I can't connect...it's telling me I don't have the right version. This sucks.
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #13
Proximo

Well actually, I gave up. It promised to be something completely different to what it actually was so I got disillusioned.
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:49 PM   #14
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Yeah, me too. It had horendous crashes and they could do squat to fix your client. The tech support would just have you reload which meant you lost everything and could not get to the point where the game allows for diversity. IMHO, it was an over-glorified chat room as that seemed to be the only thing that anyone did.

Too bad really, it seemed so promising.
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #15
Kai
Victorian Engineer

got my email ... did'nt even bother downloading it

now..

X2 - BTF or Elite IV ... those I'm waiting for

(thats X2 - Beyond the Frontier not Xmen 2 LOL)
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #16
Kakaze

Well, the beta was still going on, just they seem to've forgotten to link the new patch on the site, and of course the auto updater wasn't downloading it.

The game is promising, though they need to find a way to make it easier for people to start off in different careers without having to mine and mine and mine to get enough money to do anything.

This last day was cool though...they gave everyone 500,000,000 in game dollars (isk) and it was basically all out war if you wanted to go around and fight. Everyone had battleships and in the 11th hour I finally decided to jump in myself and just start fighting. I had fun...more so than I had the entire month+ that I spent mining and mining and mining...

I'm hoping someone comes up with a server emulator...the game is better spent in a smaller universe with a few people to go head to head with instead of in a huge universe.