Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Default Space: Above and Beyond

Source: tvshowsondvd.com

Posted by Gord Lacey 6/12/2005

"You've heard the rumors that Space: Above and Beyond will be coming to DVD, and... well... it's not here. Good news though; it is coming, and it's coming very soon - this summer.

Space: Above and Beyond is a title that Best Buy will have an exclusive on for a period of time, much like Tru Calling: Season 2 (which has vanished from the BB website for an unknown reason), and some titles from other studios. After this exclusive period ends we'll see it at for sale at other retailers, so if you don't have a Best Buy in your area then don't panic, you'll get the set. Since this title is an exclusive, information may be difficult to obtain until it's announced for sale elsewhere, but we'll do some digging and report whatever we find.

We've been teased by rumors for years, but this is finally happening!"
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #2
martok2112
Shuttle Pilot

SWEET.....I am amazed I forgot to mention SAAB in my favorite sci-fi shows/flicks

Respectfully,
Martok2112
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #3
shugotenshi
Shuttle Pilot

It's been awhile since I seen SAAB. I forgot about it to.
shugotenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #4
moovok
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

I loved Space Above and Beyond, couldn't believe it just ended like that...
moovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #5
McAfee2000
Justice League Recruit

I thought the scheduling of the show was poor. It was hard to remember when it was on, and if I remember right it got preempted a great deal for other things - like golf. The concept was good - marines in space. Even my Dad liked it, and he doesn't like most scifi shows.
McAfee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #6
Skullsplitter
Bad Email Address

Just a pity the show's writers couldn't make up their mind wether they were pilots or grunts.
The Military would not use pilots for duties more suited to the infantry & special forces.
They may have an elite squadroin - but they were not infantry and so would not have been assigned ground recon duties, or rescue missions.
Skullsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #7
kenposan
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullsplitter
Just a pity the show's writers couldn't make up their mind wether they were pilots or grunts.
The Military would not use pilots for duties more suited to the infantry & special forces.
They may have an elite squadroin - but they were not infantry and so would not have been assigned ground recon duties, or rescue missions.
I hear what you are saying but I think that was part of the appeal- they could do it all. Fans like it when the heroes can do it all.
kenposan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #8
wallsjk

I was a fan of the show because it portrayed the characters with both courage and weakness. They weren't the cookie-cutter characters that are portrayed on many sci-fi shows. The episode where they were basically volunteered/hijacked to go on a secret mission that they new nothing about - and it ended up being a "to leave no-one behind" kind of scenario - was very compelling. How could you not be moved by the Johnny Cash song and the pancakes - and more importatntly - their significance. Deeper than alot of its more commercially successful counterparts.
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #9
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

I've ordered my DVD set.

Been WAY too long since I've seen this show.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:26 PM   #10
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullsplitter
It's the future, where it seems the military branches expanded their duties.

Just as the U.S. Army had its "air force" years ago (before it branched off into its own military branch), it appears in this show that the Marines have their own "air force". They'd still be trained in ground operations as well as their piloting skills.

Heck... even the U.S. Navy of today has its "air force", as well as the Marines still technically falling under them.

At anyrate, I *finally* got my DVD's today. Been a LONG time since I watched this show.

I'll post a review of the DVDs later in another thread, then kick off the ep reviews.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Kaernen

The DVD release is good news indeed! Look forward to that.
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #12
Gargoyle2002

any news on what region code the DVDs have? Being from Europe I guess I cannot use the US version, can I?

BTW is there any good source for models of the show?
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #13
helldorado13

I always thought the way they handled the fighters in space was really well done. That was the first show I recall seeing where the ships had turning and breaking engines. Plus the 'Hammerhead' (I think it was called) was a really cool looking fighter. I seem to recall the stories really began to go down hill toward the end.
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #14
Slagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
It's the future, where it seems the military branches expanded their duties.

Just as the U.S. Army had its "air force" years ago (before it branched off into its own military branch), it appears in this show that the Marines have their own "air force". They'd still be trained in ground operations as well as their piloting skills.

Heck... even the U.S. Navy of today has its "air force", as well as the Marines still technically falling under them.

At anyrate, I *finally* got my DVD's today. Been a LONG time since I watched this show.

I'll post a review of the DVDs later in another thread, then kick off the ep reviews.
Actually, the marines today have their own fixed wing and rotor craft forces. Many times they'll operate off carriers or amphibious attack craft as well as from land bases. The show had it spot on in that reguard.

As far as the DVD's, now that Seaquest is out on DVD too, two of my favorite 90's sci-fi shows can sit in my DVD cabinet. Sweet!
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #15
RonGC

The DVD set is good. This was one show that i was really upset to see canceled. The most realistic physics and good character development. G forces in the turns, no inertial dampeners as in star trek. Realistic and possible near future scifi.

Ron
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:34 AM   #16
harada357
Shuttle Pilot

RE: SAAB - I made a mesh model of the M590 Marine assualt rifle. It was modeled in Rhino and converted to 3DS. I could convert it to LWO. Anyone interested? I don't know how to upload it here. Harada357
harada357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:30 AM   #17
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Sounds good. All you have to do is put it in a .zip file and go to the downloads page. Select your category and an upload button will appear in the upper right of the screen. Click on that and fill out the form that comes up. You'll need an image, max 400x400 pixels and a thumbnail, max 200x200 pixels.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #18
Nurbz

To resurrect an old thread.......

I understood that Best Buy was going to be the "exclusive" outlet for SAAB for a period of time. But for how long? The last time I searched Netflix my results turned up nothing. It has been quite some time since SAAB's original release and I have been unable to locate the dvd locally. I have been hesitant to purchase from Amazon, and other online sources, due to a review that reported a problem with the second disc. Apparently the #two episode disc did not play properly.

Has anyone experienced a problem with any of the discs?
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #19
Klondike307

I can't wait to buy this
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:54 AM   #20
jacktraven

I got the DVDs a few months back but havn't watched them yet.
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #21
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurbz
To resurrect an old thread.......

I understood that Best Buy was going to be the "exclusive" outlet for SAAB for a period of time. But for how long? The last time I searched Netflix my results turned up nothing. It has been quite some time since SAAB's original release and I have been unable to locate the dvd locally. I have been hesitant to purchase from Amazon, and other online sources, due to a review that reported a problem with the second disc. Apparently the #two episode disc did not play properly.

Has anyone experienced a problem with any of the discs?
Zero probs with the disks for me.
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #22
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Ep list threads are posted.
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #23
Stoned_Dragon

Default Must own...

I never knew it was out on DVD, but always loved the series despite my grand total of watching 3 eppisodes (including the pilot's on tape.) When ever i have the cash to spend this is definately on my list. (And yes, i do have a list, the product of a active sci-fi habit and not enough cash to go 'round.)
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #24
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, 3 episodes sounds about right. (I think that's how many I saw also. )
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #25
fmj_shadow

SAD space above and beyond

I for one would love to see Space above and beyond again, but its 2008 now and I still have been unable to find it
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #26
fmj_shadow

SAD space above and beyond

Anyone know where I can get a hold of them?
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #27
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Look on Amazon.com.
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #28
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I found it for region 1 (U.S. and Canada) at Amazon:

Amazon

But, I see you're in the UK. I also found it at the UK version of Amazon but it's still region 1 encoded. (might be it was never encoded to other regions.) You can play it but you'd need either a region 1 or multi-region player, I don't know if you have one but here it is:

AmazonUK
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #29
Xaa

Default Re: Space: Above and Beyond DVD

Whoah - I didn't even realize this show had made it to DVD. I'll have to see if I can't snag a copy.