Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > Beyond Reality
Notices
Beyond Reality No matter what the subject - be it Sci-Fi - Fantasy or Real Life / 3D - 2D or web design - this is the place to post your finished artwork for review by the forum members!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #1
ulimann644
Code Blue

3 D CGI Space 1999 - Moon Patrol

In the late seventies "SPACE 1999" influenced me as much as "Star Trek" - Okay not very realistic to travel with the moon to other solar-systems without hyper-drives, but I loved the idea: 300 totally normal people - allmost scientists - have to improvise after a huge disaster to survive. The Eagle-Transporter is still one of my fav Space-Ship Design.

This scene shows two eagles on a space-patrol into unknown interstellar space...

Hope you like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPACE_1999_C.jpg (124.2 KB, 62 views)
ulimann644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #2
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Space 1999 - Moon Patrol

Those are some nice moon textures. Everything else looks good also but that really stands out to me.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #3
UrbanArmitage

I agree evil_genius. That moon really stands out nicely. Well done.

You wouldn't need a hyperdrive to travel to the moon though. It's only about 300 000 km's away from Earth.

I also loved Space 1999 when I was ... <ahem> ... a bit younger. I found a few really good Eagle models a few years ago. Been meaning to dust 'em off and play around a bit. You just gave me some incentive.

UA
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #4
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanArmitage View Post
You wouldn't need a hyperdrive to travel to the moon though. It's only about 300 000 km's away from Earth.
Please read my post again and you will find out, that I wrote: ...travel with the moon and not travel to the moon... ( the typical 5-posts-error - reading and posting too quick... )

Serious: I´m not only a SF-Fan since 29 years - I´m an astronomy-freak to so I really Know that there is no need for a Hyperdrive for travelling to the moon. I´ve also seen the first man on the moon live

BTW please don´t think that other people are too stupid to know basics like this...
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #5
gmd3d
Admin

Some how I missed this post .. for that I am delighted .. I get to see it now

Loved Space 1999 or the first season anyway .. second never impressed me much

love the Eagle and the sets of the show..

awesome image.

Regarding the comment from UrbanArmitage .. its an innocent comment and I don't believe he was implying stupidity

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulimann644 View Post
( the typical 5-posts-error - reading and posting too quick... )
Actually, he's got 6 posts.
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
According to Diebold Voting Machines he has 2.4 million posts.

I watched this show as a kid too and I also thought the Eagle ships were really cool looking. I think for me the thing that made them cool is that I could easily imagine them being built by a NASA or ESA because they had a look that was believable in an era of post Apollo rockets and pre-space shuttle.

Nice image and yep, that moon is way cool.
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:32 AM   #8
gmd3d
Admin

I have the model of the Eagle myself somewhere .. I would like to have a cockpit in it for that added dimension

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 21st, 2008, 06:19 AM   #9
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
...3...2...1... ( I guess that´s your fav kind of humor - my too )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
According to Diebold Voting Machines he has 2.4 million posts.

I watched this show as a kid too and I also thought the Eagle ships were really cool looking. I think for me the thing that made them cool is that I could easily imagine them being built by a NASA or ESA because they had a look that was believable in an era of post Apollo rockets and pre-space shuttle.

Nice image and yep, that moon is way cool.
THX - Yes it was, only the Laserguns wasn´t realistic but what is SF without it...
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:37 AM   #10
gmd3d
Admin

I liked the laser guns from S1999 .. even had them as toys way back then ,,
I would have liked it to have only one laser emitter rather than 4 ..

the comlink was great .. really workable

here is a great link for those who have never seen the show .. this shows the tech area
http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...matnindex.html

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM   #11
Fretslayer

When I was a kid I had a squirt-gun version of the lasergun from the show.
I can't recall much about it other than it was like brass-knuckles in shape and shot something like 6 to 9 streams of water at the same time.

I remember it was kind of cool.
But then again, I did eat a lot of paint chips as a child.
(Well, not really but I need some sort of excuse for my current behavior! )
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM   #12
gmd3d
Admin

The one I had fired small discs made of a soft plastic..
there was a walkie-talkie type comm unit but nothing like the show ..this was a disappointment for me . so I made my own ..

no eating paint-chips involved

only McDonalds chips .. possible causing the same behaviour that your referring too

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 21st, 2008, 09:39 PM   #13
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I never even heard of this show until last year sometime on another forum. If it was ever on in the U.S., I was asleep or something.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:35 AM   #14
gmd3d
Admin

It was a excellent show .. think of 2001 a space odyssey and you will be in the right area .

the second season was taken over by producer FRED FREIBERGER ..sound familiar... I think much of the second season sucked .. the first season was
far more respectable production wise .. if you over look the vast distances
the Moon was Travelling

Quote:
Martin Landau on Fred Freiberger: "He had much less respect for actors and their input and contribution. I'd say 'Koenig wouldn't do that!' Fred would just shrug and say 'It doesn't matter, it's a good script and the audience won't notice if it's inconsistent with his character.' 'Of course they will!' I'd argue for hours and hours... usually losing the battle."

Johnny Byrne on Fred Freiberger: "Freddy arrived and he was a very personable man. I got on very well with him, but it was clear that we were living in two completely different universes as far as stories and the understanding of drama were concerned. Freddy came with all his ideas for change: get them all sweaty, get them all hairy, make the sets more claustrophobic and so on. Well, fine, I would go along with some of those things."

"But, suddenly, we were not talking about Earth people any more. We were talking about some kind of ghastly alternative Star Trekkers: they were Space Men; there was nothing they couldn't handle; they could deal with anything that was thrown at them by aliens—who are inevitably malevolent. Their attitude was, "Get the bastards before they get us. Kick arse quick or they'll kick us." I told Freddie that he was going to lose the sense of wonder that we had had in the first series, and he told me not to worry because he was going to bring wonder into it, so we got a story called The Bringers Of Wonder, and that was Freddy. He completely changed the scripts that I had written, primarily to make it more like Star Trek."

"Freddy made some real contributions to the second series. There was more pace, there was more sense of immediacy, there was more of a believability about some of the characterisations and so on. Because they were written in the main by good writers, even though many of the scripts were re-written by Freddy, the stories did come out as acceptable and up to the mark. He was a lovable, warm, generous man, but he should have been kept a million miles away from Space: 1999."

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 26th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #15
UrbanArmitage

Quote:
Please read my post again and you will find out, that I wrote: ...travel with the moon and not travel to the moon... ( the typical 5-posts-error - reading and posting too quick... )

Serious: I´m not only a SF-Fan since 29 years - I´m an astronomy-freak to so I really Know that there is no need for a Hyperdrive for travelling to the moon. I´ve also seen the first man on the moon live

BTW please don´t think that other people are too stupid to know basics like this...
Ok so I misread your post. I didn't realise that doing so would 'incite the lynch-mob' around these parts. Why exactly would the fact that I only have 7 posts here have anything to do with misreading your post? Are those that have say 100 posts less likely to misread a post? How about those with 500 posts?

Where exactly did I say that you're too stupid to know basics like this?

I made a light-hearted comment on something that I misread. You may also have missed the fact that the first line of my post was giving positive feedback.

With posts like yours I'd be surprised if they didn't contribute to the count of 5-posters on this forum that just end up becoming dormant accounts.

I'm also not just a sci-fi fan of some 30 years, as I have been an amateur astronomer for quite some time too. If my post had been malicious or ignorant perhaps I would have 'rubbed your nose in it' when I misread your post instead of making light of it. I certainly feel like you tried to 'rub my nose in it'!

BTW please don't think that because I only have 7 posts on this forum that i'm a newbie when it comes to forums, sci-fi or anything else for that matter.

UA
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #16
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Ok so I misread your post. I didn't realise that doing so would 'incite the lynch-mob' around these parts. Why exactly would the fact that I only have 7 posts here have anything to do with misreading your post? Are those that have say 100 posts less likely to misread a post? How about those with 500 posts?

Where exactly did I say that you're too stupid to know basics like this?

I made a light-hearted comment on something that I misread. You may also have missed the fact that the first line of my post was giving positive feedback.

With posts like yours I'd be surprised if they didn't contribute to the count of 5-posters on this forum that just end up becoming dormant accounts.

I'm also not just a sci-fi fan of some 30 years, as I have been an amateur astronomer for quite some time too. If my post had been malicious or ignorant perhaps I would have 'rubbed your nose in it' when I misread your post instead of making light of it. I certainly feel like you tried to 'rub my nose in it'!

BTW please don't think that because I only have 7 posts on this forum that i'm a newbie when it comes to forums, sci-fi or anything else for that matter.

UA
Wow..wow..wow... Time-out, please...

I guess that was a bad start for us both - so please let me say: mostly nothing of what you´ve insinuate to me is right. If something in my post sounds pretty negative to you, I´m sorry about that - no reason to call the "lynch-mob" to the arms...

I was totally surprised ( and also a little bit shocked ) about this reaction ´cause it was really not my intention to being disrespectful.

Also I´ve used this little man ( ) in my post and the word "serious" for that part of my post that only was 100% meant serious - for not missunderstanding this post.

Unfortunately sending and receiving the same message leads sometimes to very difficult results - so again: "Sorry that my post sounds negative to you !!"

The comment about the "5-Posts-Error" was likewise meant a little winking - and it was certainly not my intention to "rub your nose in something..."

And - yes - I´ve noticed the most important part of your first post: The positive feedback - and at this point I want to say: "Thanks for it !!" ( I´ve forgotten it in the post before - sorry for that bad manners )

I think it´s a good idea to forget the last posts of us both and I´m also ready to shake the hands with you.

P.S. BTW where exactly did I say, that you´re a newbie... ( Ok.. ok.. just a joke about sending and receiving... )
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #17
UrbanArmitage

Quote:
I think it´s a good idea to forget the last posts of us both and I´m also ready to shake the hands with you.

P.S. BTW where exactly did I say, that you´re a newbie... ( Ok.. ok.. just a joke about sending and receiving... )
Ok, ok, so after re-reading my post it seems I might have been a little bit touchy too. For that I apologise.

I should know by now that what we think isn't always what comes across in forum posts like this.

Thanks for taking the time to clear up what your post was referring to and the spirit in which you made it. Consider it water under the bridge and I offer you my hand in friendship too.

BTW: You can't really call me a newbie now anyway. I have 9 posts now! LOL

UA
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #18
gmd3d
Admin

yes once past five posts you cannot be called a newbie .. what about newt ??

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 26th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #19
UrbanArmitage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
yes once past five posts you cannot be called a newbie .. what about newt ??
ROFL! Newt this ..... j/k

UA
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #20
gmd3d
Admin

.. HA HA

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #21
Sean

man I loved that show. I was aspaceship nut and the eagle was one of the few that I *wasn't* able to make out of my lego at the time... Dammit!

so I got the plastic airfix scale model instead and made that! I've still got it too - stashed away at the parents place in a box in the attic somewhere... :P
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #22
gmd3d
Admin

I had the Aiffix model too ... ended up destroyed by the deadliest enemy of toys .. Younger Brothers

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old August 26th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #23
UrbanArmitage

That reminds me of my 2 very nice, very highly treasured BSG kits I got when I was about 12. In my case it was friends that thought they really shouldn't be kept in a display cabinet once I had built them because they were much more fun to play with. They didn't last very long.

UA
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #24
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
I had the Aiffix model too ... ended up destroyed by the deadliest enemy of toys .. Younger Brothers
Quote:
That reminds me of my 2 very nice, very highly treasured BSG kits I got when I was about 12. In my case it was friends that thought they really shouldn't be kept in a display cabinet once I had built them because they were much more fun to play with. They didn't last very long.

UA
That reminds me of one of my best friends. He´ve had a nice rescue-eagle model, accurately paintet with red stripes at the sides and so on. - In his case his little sister was the one who wrecked it. I was there in that moment and have seen my friend jumping 1.20 meters high the first ( and the last ) time.
Ok - not enough for a new world-record, but hey: with 13 years and without inrun... wow...
Fortunately I´ve only an older sister and no younger siblings... ( and for my sisters luck I was always a fellow brother )
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #25
dfredlfr

Great pic !

Is the eagle model available for download (free or not) somewhere on the web ?

Cheers
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #26
gmd3d
Admin

There is a few Eagles around .. try this
http://www.btinternet.com/~tobor/meshes.htm

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old September 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #27
dfredlfr

I try right now ! thanks
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #28
gmd3d
Admin

Hope it work out ..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old September 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #29
dfredlfr

hope so... I need inspiration now
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #30
gmd3d
Admin

Need some myself .. but I have a 2 week break in Spain .. So I will look for it there

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs