Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old March 5th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #1
gmd3d
Admin

Default Nautilus Mark 2

First the first time in a long time I have started a modelling project, again its the Nautilus based on the Novel 20.000 Leagues under the seas, I scaled it to the 70 meter long and 8 meters wide as described in the book.

But only for the main shell, allowing the Spar, Rudder and Planes are out side that I have the internal space worked out, not yet ready to show apart for the Salon which is ten meters long, six wide, and five high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naut2014 001.jpg (32.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Naut2014 002.jpg (30.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Naut2014 004.jpg (35.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Naut2014 005.jpg (32.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Naut2014 007.jpg (29.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Naut2014 008.jpg (52.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Naut2014 009.jpg (52.9 KB, 2 views)

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #2
ulimann644
Code Blue

Default Re: Nautilus Mark 2

A good start IMO.
I really like the story and also the film with James Mason as Captain Nemo, and the ship-design in this film. (Another Captain that was a prisoner at Rura Penthe... )
ulimann644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #3
gmd3d
Admin

Thanks..
yes book and film are favourites, I read the book every 2 years or so, if you never read it I think its worth it and its a free ebook these days.

But like all of Verne's books, while its fantastic and at that time futuristic, it reads like a real world book, 80days around the world is another that has that feel, although that like a travel log firmly set in the Victorian age, where the Servant visits everything and the Master sits and plays Whist or Bridge.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 6th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #4
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Thanks..
But like all of Verne's books, while its fantastic and at that time futuristic, it reads like a real world book, 80days around the world is another that has that feel, although that like a travel log firmly set in the Victorian age, where the Servant visits everything and the Master sits and plays Whist or Bridge.
I didn´t know the rules of Whist. I read the first time about this game in the novells about Horatio Hornblower (one of my fav Novell-Characters ever - I really like this Books, telling Hornblowers way from his time as a Cadet till he is Admiral) A few years later I see the Film with Gregory Peck as Captain Hornblower (where he and his Officers also play this game).

BTW:
Would this design be the ship of the 1954-Film, the 2009-Remake or a Version only descriebed at the book?
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #5
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulimann644 View Post
I didn´t know the rules of Whist. I read the first time about this game in the novells about Horatio Hornblower (one of my fav Novell-Characters ever - I really like this Books, telling Hornblowers way from his time as a Cadet till he is Admiral) A few years later I see the Film with Gregory Peck as Captain Hornblower (where he and his Officers also play this game).

BTW:
Would this design be the ship of the 1954-Film, the 2009-Remake or a Version only descriebed at the book?
Described more from the book..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is not free, (one of the few Verne books that isn't, because I think the copyrights have been renewed on it too recently for it to be public domain) but it's also not very expensive. However, you have to be careful of translation issues with Verne's books. Some of them are inaccurate, others are just flat out intentionally missing stuff. (that goes for the ones you buy in the stores too) I don't know anything about the German versions, but there are a lot of messed up English versions of Verne's books.

After much research into English translations, this is the one that I got because the North American Jules Verne Society recommends it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's supposed to be one of the most accurate translations available in English. (you typically want to avoid the really cheap ones) Though, like I said, I have no idea what is available for German translations and if they suffer from that issue. (Google is your friend here, but you can also learn a lot from product reviews)

Like I said on your blog, the Nautilus is looking great so far, Ger.
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #7
gmd3d
Admin

what I should have said then,

The original translated copy of 20.000 leagues under the seas is in public domain, in addition they not expensive as they have no author to pay

. Copyright expires between 50 to 70 years after the death of the authors also the other translated book by Frederick Paul Walter 1991 is surprisingly also
in public domain ? but his second one 1993 is not.

another one of the best translation is I am told is by Ron Miller who published a complete and corrected translation 1988, I am trying to find a copy online

My own copy is in Spain so I don't know or remember who translated it.. but I think its the older translation

I have not seen a copy translated by Anthony Bonner, but I will keep a look out for a copy.

Thanks for the comment .. I still have a lot I want to do.. other projects that I was working on with Dan aka Fretslayer are still on standby / hiatus until I sort out a few things.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 6th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #8
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

That's what it is. The original translation is available in public domain. However, the original translation is wrong. It's missing huge chunks of the book, where they just didn't feel like translating and it has a lot of translation errors due to somebody just not caring about doing a good job. I forget who did it, but a lot of other translations are actually based on it and none of those are recommended by the Jules Verne Society. That's why I paid money for the copy I have. Some of Verne's other works that are available in the public domain copies are good copies, it depends on the book and who did the translation.

Copyrights expire after a set time whether or not the copyright holder is still living. The exact timing varies by country. However, copyrights can be renewed by the copyright holders. That happens all the time with studios that make films, to keep them from becoming public domain. Authors are also known to do it, as they don't want their work copied. However, once the original copyright holder dies and the copyright expires, it can't be renewed and the works go into public domain.
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #9
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
That's what it is. The original translation is available in public domain. However, the original translation is wrong. It's missing huge chunks of the book, where they just didn't feel like translating and it has a lot of translation errors due to somebody just not caring about doing a good job. I forget who did it, but a lot of other translations are actually based on it and none of those are recommended by the Jules Verne Society. That's why I paid money for the copy I have. Some of Verne's other works that are available in the public domain copies are good copies, it depends on the book and who did the translation.

Copyrights expire after a set time whether or not the copyright holder is still living. The exact timing varies by country. However, copyrights can be renewed by the copyright holders. That happens all the time with studios that make films, to keep them from becoming public domain. Authors are also known to do it, as they don't want their work copied. However, once the original copyright holder dies and the copyright expires, it can't be renewed and the works go into public domain.
Oh I agree.. but for someone who wants to have a read can download a ebook from GOODREADS or buy a copy.

Copyrights expire 50 or 70 years depending on the country your in Verne died 1905 I think and a translator does not get the same copyright as it not his or her work and it cannot be under derivative copyright as far as I understand it. but I am no copyright lawyer

I checked and the first translator was Mercier Lewis.

Quote:
Mercier cut nearly a quarter of Verne's original text and made hundreds of translation errors, sometimes dramatically changing the meaning of Verne's original intent (including uniformly mistranslating French scaphandre (properly "diving apparatus") as "cork-jacket", following a long-obsolete meaning as "a type of lifejacket"). Some of these bowdlerizations may have been done for political reasons, such as Nemo's identity and the nationality of the two warships he sinks, or the portraits of freedom fighters on the wall of his cabin which originally included Daniel O'Connell.[5] Nonetheless, it became the standard English translation for more than a hundred years, while other translations continued to draw from it and its mistakes (especially the mistranslation of the title; the French title actually means Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas).
I knew about this and I do have the better novel.

I think and I am remembering this from memory

Films made before a particular date are also in Public domain you can see them on Youtube.. or else where.. Flash Gordon for example.. the first series is copyrighted but the following 2 are public domain..

how and why I don't know.. but guess it because the original author has retained his copyright and the first series is based directly on his work.

or even Superman was produced by Fleischer Studios which I love,, without them Superman would possibly still be leaping tall buildings instead of flying (which is cooler)

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 6th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #10
ulimann644
Code Blue

I´ve downloaded an epub-Version last year but not read it till now...
In 2013 I´ve written over 500 Pages of Fan-Fiction (so I´ve had no time to READ stories (only two books of Terry Pratchett) because I have also a very lovely girlfriend... ).

This year it´s my goal to write a little less and read a little more...
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Films made before a particular date are also in Public domain you can see them on Youtube.. or else where.. Flash Gordon for example.. the first series is copyrighted but the following 2 are public domain..
You can see a lot of things on YouTube, public domain or not.

That worked for really old movies, before VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, download, etc. Nowadays, they re-release stuff every once in a while and, when they do, the copyrights get updated. You'd have to have an original release print, or at least a very old print, which the vast majority of people won't have, to get around the updated copyrights.
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #12
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
You can see a lot of things on YouTube, public domain or not.
thats for sure,, .

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 7th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #13
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
I´ve downloaded an epub-Version last year but not read it till now...
In 2013 I´ve written over 500 Pages of Fan-Fiction (so I´ve had no time to READ stories (only two books of Terry Pratchett) because I have also a very lovely girlfriend... ).

This year it´s my goal to write a little less and read a little more...
Ah and Mort is your fav,,, what is the other TP book.

I have read them all since the 1980s.

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 7th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #14
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Ah and Mort is your fav,,, what is the other TP book.

I have read them all since the 1980s.
The others in 2013 was "Guards! Guards!" and "Sourcery".

A few years ago I´ve readed "The Colour of Magic", "Pyramids" and "Reaper Man". And I have one more in my bookshelf, just readed the first pages. (The german title of this book is "MacBest" - didn´t know the english title.)
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #15
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
The others in 2013 was "Guards! Guards!" and "Sourcery".

A few years ago I´ve readed "The Colour of Magic", "Pyramids" and "Reaper Man". And I have one more in my bookshelf, just readed the first pages. (The german title of this book is "MacBest" - didn´t know the english title.)
"MacBest" Wyrd Sisters

Guards Guards has my favourite characters

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 7th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #16
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

yay for public domainl.

Anyhoo. I like it. I think the front of the ship is very cool.
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #17
gmd3d
Admin

update.

and I am in rivet hell !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nautilus1.jpg (30.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Nautilus2.jpg (31.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Nautilus3.jpg (26.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Nautilus4.jpg (44.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Nautilus5.jpg (42.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Nautilus6.jpg (46.2 KB, 5 views)

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 27th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #18
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

oh you brave soul. Love that kind of detail.

Are they image maps or modeled hard to tell without a close up.

Probably would go with two versions one model with actual rivets for close ups and a bump map version for far away if I was animating.

I do more animating I know you do more images. So not really and issue. More about the build for you and a nice one it is.
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #19
gmd3d
Admin

thanks mate
but as always modelled all modelled..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 27th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #20
Auditor
Fighter Pilot

Yeah that's what I thought. Tools are a lot better for it now. I did a Rigid Airship before were I modeled all the rivets. Yeah that was fun. But it wasn't panels like that.
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #21
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

It's looking great, bro. I hope they're low poly. Even if they're 8-sided cylinders, you're still talking thousands of polygons after you make that many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor View Post
oh you brave soul.
I was thinking something along those lines also. I probably would have done the nose and then said "f*** this" and done something else.
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #22
gmd3d
Admin

touched by madness )

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old March 28th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #23
ulimann644
Code Blue

Wow... The hull looks great with all this rivets. (One million and five I guess... )
I like also the grates, the windows... all parts of it.
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #24
gmd3d
Admin

thanks ulimann644 it feels like One million and five

I have done some more work and the polys are clocking up

but after some trial and error I have decided to create a slot for the dinghy to attach to the main hull

anyway last post for a while.. going travelling again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nautilus 0001.jpg (33.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Nautilus 0002.jpg (57.0 KB, 4 views)

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old April 6th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #25
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Looking great, Ger. I really like how you did the upper deck.
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:56 AM   #26
gmd3d
Admin

Thanks Chris..

this is model is running away with me along with the dreaded polycount arrh

Anyway I have 2 weeks to think about it,, "what am I saying !"

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old April 7th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #27
ulimann644
Code Blue

I like the dinghy - but... who has stolen the propeller?
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #28
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
this is model is running away with me along with the dreaded polycount arrh
I get that a lot too.

I wouldn't worry too much about poly count. You have a very modern computer that should be able to handle that beast like a trooper. As long as you don't have some huge animated sequences planned, that is.
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #29
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
I like the dinghy - but... who has stolen the propeller?
the dreaded propeller is been reworked

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old April 7th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #30
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
I get that a lot too.

I wouldn't worry too much about poly count. You have a very modern computer that should be able to handle that beast like a trooper. As long as you don't have some huge animated sequences planned, that is.
No major animations planned YET )

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs