Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > CREATIVE BRAINS > On The Horizon
Notices
On The Horizon Working on something? With a 2D or 3D app? Is it SF - Fantasy - Real world? Let's see it!
To post art for Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #1
darth victor
TARDIS Pilot

Default Sculptris project

I've been mucking about with Sculptris for a few months now, mostly with this model, getting things right and trying to develop my eye.

To test this, as per my introduction in the New Members thread, I'm not going to say who the subject of my sculpture actually is. Hopefully someone out there will recognise him, meaning I'm getting somewhere. There's still a lot of detail missing, such as hair and any wrinkles he may have, and I accidentally reshaped the top of his head a while back. That annoyed me no end.

My initial posting was only the pale flesh-tone material I applied, which as you can probably see made him look very much like Data from Star Trek TNG, who it's not, so I've painted him up a bit. I think I've made his skin tone a bit darker than it actually is, but it's not bad for my first serious attempt to paint someone. I've also not given him any hair, as I've just started working on the asymmetric detailing.

I still have quite a few hours of work ahead of me, as I learn the tools.

The actor in question is from an eighties TV show, although he has appeared in a couple of shows in more recent memory. He is naturally quite a bit older now than in my sculpture, which is directly based on his appearance from his older work. He has also appeared in some big screen movies.

The last hint I gave was that his eyes were blue, but since I've painted those, I'll give another - his hair colour varies somewhat from a rather dark blond to brown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New_Head.jpg (94.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg New_Head_Paint_1.jpg (81.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg New_Head_Paint_2.jpg (94.5 KB, 12 views)
darth victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #2
gmd3d
Admin

Default Re: Sculptris project

Still no idea who ... but I think its very well done.

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #3
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'm guessing Dirk "Starbuck" "Faceman" Benedict. The shape of the nose and the placement of the mole on this cheek are consistent with Dirk. (so are the hair and eye color)

Very nice work so far. I've tried Sculptris but I couldn't do much with it. (I really need to try again)
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #4
darth victor
TARDIS Pilot

Thanks!

It's not Dirk Benedict, but I didn't realise that they do have a similar facial structure. This guy's hair is usually a bit shorter. You are very close to the right year, and I think the shows had some of the creative team in common.

I forgot to include this link: http://vimeo.com/12186535

It was (and should be) to a the first of two Sculptris tutorials that helped me get going. I can't check because my system hasn't properly updated Flash to let me play the video yet. (I'm using Sculptris through WINE on Linux.)

Last edited by darth victor; June 9th, 2011 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Forgot to include a link
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I don't know. I'm not good with '80s TV. For one thing, I was very young in the '80s.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #6
darth victor
TARDIS Pilot

Well, in the three months since my last post, I've been made full time at work, bought a house and moved into it, and then become part-time again.

In that time I've touched my model maybe twice, until yesterday. I've done a little more work on correctly shaping the head and the face, which I'm mostly happy with, and I've tidied up some stray geometry, as well as giving him some crude hair - but no eyebrows. I sent a copy of him to a friend who correctly identified the actor, so I thought I'd post my update here.

I'm not sure if this counts as a necropost, given that I originated the thread and this is an update on the same topic. I had a look around and couldn't find anything on necroposting, so hopefully nobody's too upset about it.

I'm still having a bit of a think on how to do the hair. The main way I've come up with would be to add bulges and streaks around the head, and then progressively carve them into smaller shapes, but that won't help me with the fine detail I'd like to get. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Head_Sept_20.jpg (65.9 KB, 5 views)
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Updating your own WIP thread is never a necro post.

Nice work, he's looking more and more life-like, whoever he is. I'm terrible at remembering names, but the face definitely looks familiar.

As for tips on getting details, I can't help you there. Organic modeling is still a huge mystery to me.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #8
darth victor
TARDIS Pilot

The sculpt may be looking familiar because he had a pivotal role in the first of the Star Trek films. The actor is one Mr Stephen Collins, star of Tales of the Gold Monkey, Seventh Heaven, and co-star (as well as evil genius) in No Ordinary Family.

For my references, I've been using my Tales of the Gold Monkey DVDs (think "Raiders" but with planes, based on the film Only Angels Have Wings), and my Star Trek 1 BluRay, plus a few pictures I've found about the place.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #9
gmd3d
Admin

Tales of the Gold Monkey was a good short lived show..... very much "Raiders" type show and I was glad of it when it was on..

I liked the Sea Plane alot

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #10
darth victor
TARDIS Pilot

One of my side-projects at the moment is the Cutter's Goose (the sea plane, a Grumman Goose). It's been a mild obsession of mine since I saw the show in 1983.

Now I'm in the mood for Raiders. It seems I won't be doing any sculpting tonight.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Ah, Stephen Collins, of course (now I do feel stupid.) I've seen him in lots of stuff over the years, aside from playing the ill-fated Will Decker (I know he didn't exactly die, but his sequel potential went out the door when they fired Gene as executive producer.)
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #12
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth victor View Post
One of my side-projects at the moment is the Cutter's Goose (the sea plane, a Grumman Goose). It's been a mild obsession of mine since I saw the show in 1983.
It has been design I liked in the sea plane side of things, second to my all time favorite. the Consolidated PBY Catalina. I love its design style

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs