Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old January 16th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #1
English Bob
Novice

SAD There's a spammer in your PM section :(

I don't come here very often - it's nothing personal, you understand, just that there are a lot of forums out there and not enough hours in the day... So when I get a notification of a private message here, it's a bit of an event. When I see the PM in question is probably generated by a script, is from a new member with a mostly empty profile (some information having been filled in by hitting keys at random), and contains a link to a web site which in turn is a load of links - well, you get the picture. If I'm the only one to have been singled out, then I'll be quiet and feel special. :laugh:

If not, then the mods have probably been spammed too and already know about it.

-edit-

Ooh, first post in my two and a half years as a member. Bad EB.

-second edit-

I should probably add, for the benefit of anyone else who's received one of these PMs - don't visit the link. I couldn't see anything wrong with it, but I used a browser which has no support for the usual exploits. It may be a cover for drive-by malware installation.

Last edited by English Bob; January 16th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: Added an afterthought...
English Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #2
startrekfan001
Shuttle Pilot

i got it too, just a few minutes ago.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Gemini1999
Shuttle Pilot

I got one yesterday - it kind of surprised me as I don't really spend much time on this board as I'm just an admirerer of CGI, not a contributor. Then I find out that the PM is from someone that I don't even know. The message was pretty simple: "Hi, I'm new, how are you" or something to that effect. I just responded with a "Fine, and you?" and left it at that. No further messages - I just figured that it was some kind of mistake.

Bryan

Edited to add: I've reported the individual to the admin staff of the board so they can look into it.
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #4
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

You guys need to inform members of the staff via PM of the user names of these possible spammers so we can investigate. Since Warrior has taken steps to stop the horrible spam we were getting on the boards last year, the spammers might have switched to the PM system.

If you're using the 3DG 3.6 theme for the boards (you can change this at the bottom of any page) simply go to the info button at the top of the page and you can view the staff list so you can PM us and we can check this out. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #5
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The time is now 2:22 PM (14:22) EST on January 16, 2008. I have contacted the member in question and attempted to resolve the situation with the private messaging. If anyone receives a private message that was sent after this time (sorry, you'll have to convert that to your time zone) please inform me either in this thread or (preferably) by PM. Thanks everyone.

If you got one before that, please just delete it and accept my apology on behalf of the entire 3DG staff.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #6
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

The user creating the PMs ignored my attempts to PM him/her, so I was forced take more permanent steps. I've also deleted all the spam PMs, so if you were directed here from your e-mail saying you had a PM and you don't, sorry for that but we don't tolerate spam on this board (or in the private messages) at all.

If anyone sees anything else like this in the future, please inform the staff immediately so we can resolve it. Thanks.
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #7
dougkeenan

That was quick.
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #8
Gemini1999
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougkeenan View Post
That was quick.
You know what they say....

"Mess with the bull, and you get the horns..."

They don't call him "Evil Genius" for nuthin'
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #9
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Well, we have a zero tolerance policy for spam here. Anybody who was around last year when we were getting hit by that spam bot many times a day knows why I have a short fuse when it comes to that stuff. And circumventing whatever anti-spam countermeasures Warrior installed in the board last year by using the PM system is just dirty.

But, this was a person (presumably) and not a spam bot, so I attempted to give him/her a chance to stop what they were doing. But, they decided to ignore my PMs and continued to just sit there scanning the member list and PM-ing people, (I could see them doing this on the Who's Online screen and Admin CP.) so I was forced to take action to protect everyone else's privacy.

So, we'll attempt to put that behind us and go on with our usual routine.
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #10
English Bob
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
If you're using the 3DG 3.6 theme for the boards (you can change this at the bottom of any page) simply go to the info button at the top of the page and you can view the staff list so you can PM us and we can check this out.
That's good advice. The default vBulletin 3 style is lacking many of the bells 'n' whistles of the others.
English Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #11
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, I didn't notice for a while that Warrior had added other themes and I was putting up with that default style myself. It was OK while it was necessary but sucks otherwise.
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #12
Lee
Completely FUBAR!

This guy hit over at SFM to, and I have yet to get a pm... I feel SO left out..*pouts*...

Nice quick work EG.

Support the Network: 3D Scifi | Framevoid | Scifi'ers Anonymous | Ejected Core |Wolf Den Productions
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #13
the3dgm

Well, at least I'll find out if I've ever posted in here before. :^)

Good to see you're on top of things EG!!!
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #14
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I"m not really sure it was a guy. (or a girl, for that matter.) It might've been a spambot, like we had hitting the forums last year. But this one was smart and hit the PM section, to get around the spam guards on the forums. I didn't click on the link (so it wouldn't be traced back here) but I checked out that site and it looked like some randomly generated info site.
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #15
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

...and people wondered why I have him as an Admin...
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #16
mikala
Master Pilot

Great work EG! Crappy that the spammers have gotten this desperate.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #17
aarathi
Novice

I got yesterday. Please take any action against spammers. Otherwise they destroy our beautiful site.
aarathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM   #18
XRaiderV1

I've even gotten that pm on a family friendly games forum, called blitwise, so far, I seem to be the only one there who's gotten one...............
man, spammers, come on, if I wanted spam, I'd go buy a can of it off the shelf at the supermarket, seeing it online is just plain aggravating.