Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > Viewer On!
Notices
Viewer On! Talk about old, new or upcoming movies or TV series in the realm of SciFi or Fantasy.
To discuss Battlestar Galactica, go to our sister site- Colonial Fleets

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

Default V the new series

Official trailer making it's way out. I hear ABC has 'committed' itself to 4 seasons (yeah...right) which would mean we could get a resolution this time around (yeah...right ).

youtube trailer

"That which does not kill me simply postpones the inevitable"

My Site

My Blog
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Fretslayer

Default Re: V the new series

Geeze... There is so much (expletive deleted) remakes going on that it's sick.
I mean, they did say 'Recycle, Recycle, Recycle' through the entire 90s decade but I'm not sure this is what they had in mind.

Hell, any day now I'm expecting to see a movie trailer for 'Love Boat: The Movie' and odds are it'll star Will Smith as Capt. Stubbing and Carlos Mencia as Julie, your cruise director.
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

You do know that Paramount was developing a Love Boat movie? (I think it died - thankfully)

My Site

My Blog
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Fretslayer

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

For the love of all things good and creative I hope you were just messing with me.
LOL!

As you can see, I had a horrible reaction.
LOL!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Tenement
3DG Forum Moderator

2000's has been the decade of the reboot/re-invent/re-launch. Galactica, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Batman, V and Survivors to name a few. (I'm sure there is even more and I've no doubt that I'm missing some obvious ones.) There is even news today of a remake of Gerry Anderson's UFO in the pipeline. Are they the TV and film equivalent of comfort food?
Tenement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:47 AM   #6
Fretslayer

I think the film industry is is falling into the same trap that devistated the music industry and it's this... Do what is safe. Don't take a chance.

I hear people ask 'Are there no new ideas out there?'

I think there are. Hell, I write stories all of the time but Hollyweird has found itself painted into a corner. They won't put out a film unless it has 'Big Star A' in it and 'Big Star A' doesn't work for less than 20million a picture. Since they have to make back the money they've invested they go for the safest possible thing they can find. Something that already makes/made money.

Just like during the 80s, if your band sucked but had a blonde singer from L.A you could get on MTV, the current version is '...If you take a TV show from the 70s that was a drama and turn it into a comedy we'll make a movie out of it'

The short version of what I'm saying is that there are plenty of great original ideas out there but nobody is willing to take a chance on them.

This is just my opinion but I think that the film industry is making some critical mistakes at the moment. They believe their revenue is being hurt because somebody's little Johnny downloaded the new Trek movie. I don't think that's really the problem. The problem is that 'Home Theater Systems' are now so badass they rival many movie theaters. The difference being you pay almost nothing to get the film via NetFlix and you watch it on your 60" plasma TV with the 5.1 THX surround sound - AND - you can pause the film when you need to grab a beer or take a pee or whatever...Plus that idiot with the afro or big hat isn't sitting in front of you, the kid kicking the chair isn't behind you, the lady loudly crunching nachos in your ear and the guy who tells everybody what happens next are all nowhere to be seen. The negative aspects to going to a theater are gone and the positive one are still there.

Because of this, I think the film industry needs to take their product to a whole new level - something that you 'cant' get at home yet. What exactly that is, I can't say for sure - excellent 3D might be a start - holographic films, perhaps - but it has to be something.

Evolve or Die.

The film industry is resisting this simple lesson and that's why we get 'Land of the Lost: The Comedy' - Instead of the next truly amazing new story.

There, I'll get off the soap box now.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #7
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Don't forget the other good point of NetFlix: one month on the $9.95 plan costs less than a movie ticket for one person to see one movie once. And, if you watch your NetFlix movies quickly and get them back in the mail, you can get at least 1 a week, usually 2. I don't even have the badass home theater setup, just a good ol' picture tube TV and a DVD player, and I think it's so much better to do it that way.

As far as your comments regarding the film industry, I'm not touching that one. I will say that there are plenty of movies that are being made right now that aren't remakes or sequels, you just have to look for them. Sure, they might not get the budget or the A-list stars that these remakes and whatnot are getting (though Star Trek was actually pretty low budget) but they're still there and they will still be great if you do a little work to ignore the hyped-out remake/sequel trend and find them. Besides, someone in at least one of those movies is tomorrow's A-list star, they just haven't made it yet.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Thomas P
TOS Gladiator Manager

While I certainly agree with Fretslayer on lack of Hollywood originality I would argue that there are a fair number of original stories out there (it's just most of the suck). It makes sense they go back to the well, now and then, to stories that have succeeded or are perceived to have a fan base that will generate a profit.

Coming soon is Moon for example.

UFO YES!!!!

My Site

My Blog
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Fretslayer

I'm not downing NetFlix in any way. Hell, I have it and I stream movies with it as well.

My point about the film industry not taking a chance is sadly true.
However, indy and 'B' level films are always different than 'mainstream' films are and more often than not they are where the next great trend in fims come from. Star Wars is the perfect example of the 'B' movie that no major studio wanted to touch. Another good example is the original 'Nightmare on Elm Street' - Again, nobody wanted it and it was what made New Line Cinema.

There will always be 'B' films out there and like anything some will be better than others, but that is the place I look when I want to see something or spot upcoming cinematic trends.

Hollywood is also too slow to understand vision. There was a film I saw in the theater some time back. I walked out thinking 'Wow! Now that was something!' and as I listened to the people around me I noticed I was one of the only ones who did not think the movie sucked. Critics bashed it at the time and time and the studio was really upset with it's director. Today that film's influence is seen in nearly every scifi film made. That movie was 'Blade Runner'.

I use music as an example much of the time because I spent 20 years working in that field and saw how often the record labels tried to force bands like 'Autograph' down our throats and in return we forced them to deal with Metallica, Testament and bands they had no desire to sign but saw how much money they generated. As such, the bands that were once on the fringe of the scene came to dominate it. I think film works in a similar manner on many levels.

Star Wars. I mean that sums it all up.

Films were once silent. Then they evolved.
Films were once black & white. Then they evolved.
It's time they do it again and give people a reason to spend the money, time and aggravation to return to the theater.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM   #10
Karagin

Why are they even trying to redo an NBC show? Why not come up with something original and leave this alone?

I am not liking all of these remakes that seem to be the new en-vogue deal with Hollywood...
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:01 AM   #11
Tenement
3DG Forum Moderator

At least it seems to be a mini series so it shouldn't end up as a bloated beast that overstays it's welcome.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #12
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenement View Post
At least it seems to be a mini series so it shouldn't end up as a bloated beast that overstays it's welcome.
You mean like the band 'Kiss'?

:laugh:
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #13
Karagin

More like the Rolling Stones...
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #14
celticarchie

I actually found the new V series to be the best re-make so far. In so that it didn't mess around with the Original V's continuity, it just took the concept and updated to the 2009-2010 modern day.

Old December 28th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #15
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Do you mean a continuation, or is it actually a remake?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"The art of scape goating interests me." - Dauntless
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #16
celticarchie

Oh it's a remake alright. What I meant is that it doesn't try to artificially insert itself into the Original's continuity, it just starts from the beginning just in the modern day.

Old December 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Fretslayer

I think they've done a really good job on the updated version of 'V'.

The human mind is a funny thing and when it comes to memory, we have a tendency of remembering things not how they actually were, but how we want to them to be. This isn't my idea, it's in many of the psychology books sitting next to me.

Having said that, I think that the best way to see the new 'V' is to catch the old one when they do a marathon on SciFi. I watched the old one when it was originally airing... The word masterpiece doesn't even come close to my lips when I discuss it. LOL!

I think that what they've done with the new version is taken the best elements of the original show and cut away a lot of the cheese and obvious aliens=nazi themes that didn't work. IMO.

The characters in the new show are interesting and multidimensional as well.

Plus, the scenes where Anna rehearses how to appear compassionate or something else (when her plan is to use that false emotion to hook the hearts of the stupid masses) are some of the best. The way the actress (can't recall her name because it's something weird to me) goes from say... Empathy for your loss to black-soul malevolent in 1.5 seconds is brilliant.

I can't wait for the show to come back.
I hope they don't suffer from what we call in the music business 'Sophmore Syndrome'.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #18
gmd3d
Admin

loved the original .. never saw the new one..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Fretslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
loved the original .. never saw the new one..
I don't know if these will work on your side of the pond, but if they do you can watch the show streamed on the website of the network playing it.

http://abc.go.com/shows/v

They have the pilot available to view.
Let me know if this works for you - if not I'll find you another link.
Knowing what I know about you, I think you should take a look at it - if for no other reason - to check out some of the CG elements. But I think you might like the story as well.

Oh, I'm off playing some DDO today but later on I'll be working on our film. I'll send you some updated shots a.s.a.p. I've decided to go ahead and convert Chris' Brisbane (again) in case we want to use it for something...
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #20
gmd3d
Admin

cool ..... I have been working on the shuttle . I only wanted to add some landing gear and end up fixing the engines

I possibly get to that tomorrow ,,,, and I have been working on another thing for the site .... and that took ages ...

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old December 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #21
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

COOL Re: V the new series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
Having said that, I think that the best way to see the new 'V' is to catch the old one when they do a marathon on SciFi. I watched the old one when it was originally airing... The word masterpiece doesn't even come close to my lips when I discuss it. LOL!
Why? I own the DVDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretslayer View Post
I think that what they've done with the new version is taken the best elements of the original show and cut away a lot of the cheese and obvious aliens=nazi themes that didn't work. IMO.

The characters in the new show are interesting and multidimensional as well.

Plus, the scenes where Anna rehearses how to appear compassionate or something else (when her plan is to use that false emotion to hook the hearts of the stupid masses) are some of the best. The way the actress (can't recall her name because it's something weird to me) goes from say... Empathy for your loss to black-soul malevolent in 1.5 seconds is brilliant.

I can't wait for the show to come back.
I hope they don't suffer from what we call in the music business 'Sophmore Syndrome'.
Of course the Nazi stuff doesn't work today. Look when the original was made.

Today it'd be terrorist crap.

For the time period the original was made, masterpiece DOES come to mind

Cripes... TOS Trek wouldn't work today either. Hence the nuTrek in the TOS era.

One made you use brains. The other is action fodder. Guess which is which? And I liked both.
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #22
gmd3d
Admin

I remember following the original V each week... it was very popular the street would be clear. the only other show that had that effect was Dallas

wow I remember that..

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Old December 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #23
Tenement
3DG Forum Moderator

The original mini series of V was good fun but I thought that it was a bit of a train wreck when it became a weekly series. The Charles and Diana storyline made me want to kick my television in and tv's are expensive.
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #24
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly "Warrior"
The Last Starfighter
Owner

Oh now... the SERIES of the original did suck LOL

I am talking mini series only (both).
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #25
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Oh now... the SERIES of the original did suck LOL

I am talking mini series only (both).
er me too , me too, me toooooo!!! I swear to Grud

Handy Links

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs