Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old August 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Senmut
Shuttle Pilot

Default "There's something you need to know..." Concl.

“P...please,” said Cassie, looking up as the storm began to abate, “don’t tell anyone. Don’t tell Starbuck… I’m not sure he would understand.”
“Never.” She put her fingers to Cassie’s lips. “It’ll be our secret, Cassie.” She climbed to her feet, pulling Cassie up beside her, just as the intercom sounded. Colonel Tigh’s voice rang out;
All pilots, final briefing in ten centons. Repeat, all pilots, final briefing in ten centons.
The two tidied up, casting sheepish looks at one another. Cassie then moved, reaching for the hatch, before looking back up.
“Thanks, Sheba.” She shook her head slightly in bemusement. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have dropped this on you before a mission.” She ran a hand over her face in dismay. “Lords, I did it with Starbuck too. Instead of being supportive, I feel this irrational need to resolve any… outstanding issues.” She shook her head ruefully. “My timing couldn’t be worse. The story of my life, I suppose.” She smiled, though the lightness of her words didn’t quite reach her eyes. “All the same, you have no idea how much better…”
“I’m glad you told me.” Sheba replied. “I suppose I never really knew how you felt about my father. There was a part of me that always thought he was just another client. Now I know he was so much more.” She laid her hand on Cassie’s. “Thank you.”
“For what?” Cassie asked.
“I suppose that my biggest fear after my mother’s death, was that my father would have nothing left to live for. What can take the place of twenty-five yahrens of devotion?”
Cassiopeia shook her head mutely.
“I guess I hoped I could help in some small way, but I was wrong. Father retreated further into himself, his ambrosia bottle becoming his salvation …until he met you. You changed that. You gave him hope and promise once again. If I had only understood then that it was your love that saved him.”
Cassie’s eyes filled with tears once again. “But I didn’t save him. Did I?”
“From himself. Perhaps if there had been someone there for you, as you were for him…” she trailed off, shrugging mutely, reaching for the hatch, precious centons passing by.
“Thank you.” Cassie whispered quietly.
Sheba turned, reaching out and squeezing the med tech’s hand. She smiled gently. “That’s what friends...what family, are for.”
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote