Go Back   3D Gladiators Forums > DISCUSSION AND SUPPORT > General Discussions
Notices
General Discussions Need to talk about anything not covered in the other discussion forums? Pop here! NO FLAMING ALLOWED!

Old July 31st, 2008, 08:33 PM   #61
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Default Re: Star Trek vs Star Wars

The only one of those I haven't read is Dreams of Raven but the rest are excellent choices.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:42 AM   #62
gmd3d
Admin

Dream of Raven is good at least enjoyible

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:58 PM   #63
shrox

This says it all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SadTrooper.jpg (10.6 KB, 15 views)
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #64
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Am I the only one who feels that CGI Star Wars movie that was released today could be the downfall of Star Wars as surely as the Star Trek movie being released next year could be the final ax in the back for Trek? Both look pretty horrible to me.
Old August 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #65
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Apprentice View Post
both have different style in writing, starwars was already mapped out because of the way it was presented on screen having a later chapter being the fiorst movie the writer george lucas had to conform to whathe already wrote and presented, star trek on the other hand is free to do whatever they want within the paramaters of the chracters.
That´s the reason why it makes no sense to compare it IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_genius_180 View Post
Am I the only one who feels that CGI Star Wars movie that was released today could be the downfall of Star Wars as surely as the Star Trek movie being released next year could be the final ax in the back for Trek? Both look pretty horrible to me.
You´re absolutly right - The much important question for me is: Why continuing the same stuff till the fans won´t see it anymore ?? The Trek-Universe is really great enough to create new interesting stories.

Why not a film or a new show about the rise and fall of the Xindi - ending with the destruction of there homeworld by an unknown race ( or better with the destruction of the whole solar-system including all star-bases and a great part of there fleet ) Stuff for some great SFX I guess...

Also a story about the "First Human Race" is thinkable - what was the reason for the splitting into the different human-races ( Klingons, Romulans, Humans... etc. pp. ) Was there a war against an unknown race ending with the defeat of the humans, or maybe a civil-war between different colonies of that race ??

Another possibility is a story about the sphere-builders - the trans-dimensional lifeforms - and the war of the federation against that race in the 26th century ( in the enterprise show there was a little outlook on that as Cpt. Archer was on board of the Enterprise-J )

Or the genesis of the Borg... - or, or, or...

"To boldly write what no one has written before..."
ulimann644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #66
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I think Star Trek needs to take about a 5 to 10 year break to get their crap together and then maybe come out with something fresh and new. The problem is that they keep wanting to bring out more of their money-making franchises but, as you say, the fans won't want to see it after a while and then it won't make money and that will spell certain doom for Trek.

The same could be said for Star Wars. I want to know, with all of the books, comics, games, etc. that center around the Clone Wars, why is George Lucas still stuck there? I'd say the Clone Wars have been covered, move on to something else. I know he can't do anything besides Star Wars and Indiana Jones (I've seen his other crap) but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of potentially great Star Wars movie ideas out there. I'd like to see some Star Wars movies that date all the way back to the first Sith War, instead of constantly going back to the time frame of around the original and newer trilogies of movies.
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #67
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
I think Star Trek needs to take about a 5 to 10 year break to get their crap together and then maybe come out with something fresh and new. The problem is that they keep wanting to bring out more of their money-making franchises but, as you say, the fans won't want to see it after a while and then it won't make money and that will spell certain doom for Trek.
True - but they can also make money with it by creating some new stuff, perhaps more, ´cause I think if the new idea is good everyone ( or every "Trekkie" ) will have franchises of this new stuff too...

Quote:
The same could be said for Star Wars. I want to know, with all of the books, comics, games, etc. that center around the Clone Wars, why is George Lucas still stuck there? I'd say the Clone Wars have been covered, move on to something else. I know he can't do anything besides Star Wars and Indiana Jones (I've seen his other crap) but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of potentially great Star Wars movie ideas out there. I'd like to see some Star Wars movies that date all the way back to the first Sith War, instead of constantly going back to the time frame of around the original and newer trilogies of movies.
That´s exactly what I mean - New stuff inside the Trek- and the Wars-Universe. BTW I guess a movie about the rise of Darth Bane and his fight against the Jedi General Hoth is also a good idea...
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #68
one01
Shuttle Pilot

Star wars is better with the the way they made the movies(the newer three weren't that great.). But star trek seems to have more to it.
one01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #69
Ghostening

The biggest differences between Star Wars vs. Trek are the moral and ethical situations and the way that they are approached by the characters. In Star Wars there are quite a few different mind altering substances, while in Star Trek everything related to these topics are approached from a perspective that these things are bad. Good or bad, they exist and societies all have some fringe people that will seek them out.
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #70
nipuk007

Personally I have to say, that between Star Trek and Star Wars, Star Trek has to win hands down. Having said that I, unlike a lot if my fellow trekkies, actually like the Original Star Wars films.

When it comes down to it, it depends on what you look for in a Show/Film.
Star Trek is for the more Techie/Real World orientated types.
Star Wars is for the more Fantasy/Other Worldly orientated types.
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #71
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I know a lot of Trekkies that like Star Wars (besides me.)
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #72
UrbanArmitage

Yep, I'm one of those too evil_genius.

UA
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #73
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostening View Post
The biggest differences between Star Wars vs. Trek are the moral and ethical situations and the way that they are approached by the characters. In Star Wars there are quite a few different mind altering substances, while in Star Trek everything related to these topics are approached from a perspective that these things are bad. Good or bad, they exist and societies all have some fringe people that will seek them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipuk007 View Post
Personally I have to say, that between Star Trek and Star Wars, Star Trek has to win hands down. Having said that I, unlike a lot if my fellow trekkies, actually like the Original Star Wars films.

When it comes down to it, it depends on what you look for in a Show/Film.
Star Trek is for the more Techie/Real World orientated types.
Star Wars is for the more Fantasy/Other Worldly orientated types.
I´m a very curious guy and I long to know what George Lucas, Gene Roddenberry and all Story-Writers of Star Wars and Star Trek would say if they would read this.
What I mean is: I guess primal there intention was to write and to tell a fantastic story and the moral and ethical situation of both was only marginal for them.

It´s like in the SF-Story that I´m writing - at the beginning I´ve had only the characters and a fantastic story - but the more the story had going on, the less I could avert to tell something about the social, historical, ethical and moral background of some characters and their races.

I´ve done it ( for example ) by a lazertoid character, but the first time I realized it was by re-reading the chapter - and I was totally surprised about it. I´ve never planned to write something like this, but it happens - sometimes without thinking about it. I think many things by creating a world or a universe around a sf-story is an unconscious process...

Quote:
I know a lot of Trekkies that like Star Wars (besides me.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanArmitage View Post
Yep, I'm one of those too evil_genius.

UA
I´m too and the most Trek- and Wars-Fans I know like both too ´cause they are ( like me ) more SF-Fans as only Trekkie- or only Star Wars-Fans... :colwar: :cylon:

P.S. My first contact with reading SF was "Perry Rhodan" - the world greatest SF-Series - in 1980 as I was 14 yo...
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #74
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulimann644 View Post
I´m too and the most Trek- and Wars-Fans I know like both too ´cause they are ( like me ) more SF-Fans as only Trekkie- or only Star Wars-Fans... :colwar: :cylon:
Well, I'm definitely a Trekkie. Though I was exposed to and liked Star Wars first. Aside from those two, I'm not really a huge sci-fi nut. I only like a little sci-fi besides Trek and Wars. (but I make up for it in the sheer volume of my Trek and Wars love. )
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #75
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
I only like a little sci-fi besides Trek and Wars. (but I make up for it in the sheer volume of my Trek and Wars love. )
That´s okay - not everyone can ( or will ) be a SF-Maniac. Otherwise it´s an interesting hobby, mostly to read SF. For example: Dune is one of my fav SF-Movies but reading the ( very long ) Dune-Novel of Frank Herbert was much more impressive IMO.
Also when you read many different SF-Novels you have often a deja-vu ´cause the most good ideas in films you´ll find in novels - written in the sixties and seventies.
One more advantage is, that your imagination creates much better SFX and exotic locations by reading SF as filmmakers can do ( and some things are nearly impossible to visualize... ) And - you get mostly a much better story as in movies... :laugh:
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #76
Isarian

Quote:
For example: Dune is one of my fav SF-Movies but reading the ( very long ) Dune-Novel of Frank Herbert was much more impressive IMO.
Ah now thats got to be my favorite series of Sci-Fi books.
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #77
Fretslayer

Dune is my favorite book. As for the film versions of it - I think that SciFi Channel did a pretty good job of translating it into film. I would imagine that Dune a very difficult story to convert from book to screenplay and not end up with a 20 hour film.

One of the things about the book that I really like is that when I read it, I have to read a few pages, stop, let them sink in and some of the time jump back a page and reread it just to make sure I really understood it.

While I grew up with a great fondness for both Star Wars and Star Trek, IMO nothing comes close to Dune.
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #78
UrbanArmitage

I've also read the Dune series, and I loved it! My mom who took a liking to Dune and bought the books. I love a lot of different science fiction but I have my favourites like Star Trek.

Have any of you guys ever read the Lensmen series of books by E E Doc Smith? Again, my mom took a couple out from the local library and then went out and bought the entire series. IIRC there were about 30 or more books each telling a separate story but all added up to one great tale. Many times over the years i've wished we still had those books so that I could re-read them but they were lost in a move many years ago.

UA
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #79
Nardi

I definitly have to side with Star wars on this, but i am a big fan of trek too. I think the star wars universe allows for a lot more chaos and seat of your pants action, whereas Trek seems to be all well thought out plans of action that usually work
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM   #80
ulimann644
Code Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi View Post
I definitly have to side with Star wars on this, but i am a big fan of trek too. I think the star wars universe allows for a lot more chaos and seat of your pants action, whereas Trek seems to be all well thought out plans of action that usually work
I think the titles say loud and clear what the creators wanted to have...
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #81
AnubisCat
Shuttle Pilot

I gotta go with Star Wars over Star Trek
AnubisCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #82
gmd3d
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubisCat View Post
I gotta go with Star Wars over Star Trek
I am on the other side,TOS Trek that is. but its a close one. and the orignal Star Wars .. the last 3 Star Wars where more forgettable apart from the last scenes of Revenge of the Sith.
but that just me.

Oh an welcome aboard AnubisCat ..

Handy Links
To find the program or knowledge to help your project use the links below!

Tutorial Section

Free 3D Programs

Free 2D Programs

Paid: Professional Programs
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #83
Fretslayer

Just a couple of thoughts here...

The point about how structured the Trek world is really made me think.
I grew up when Star Wars (the original film) was in the theater and when ST:TMP was also in the theater.

Thinking about it - while I do love the Trek stuff, I think I'd rather live in the Star Wars universe. I'm so much of a pirate/confederate type of person that I think in the Trek universe I would be in some dark galactic prison cell.

At least in the SW universe there are people who are... uh... scoundrels - AND - they can be heroes. In ST the closest we get to that type of character is the bozo named Mudd.

I'm way too much of an outlaw to exist in the Trek universe.

:laugh:
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #84
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, but that's the beauty of Star Trek. The Federation isn't the galactic standard, like the Empire is in Star Wars. If you don't like Federation rules, you can always just move. You could always go live in Ferengi or Orion space and be as much a pirate as you want.
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #85
Fretslayer

Man, I just know the Federation would put a price on my head.
I mean really... I'd have to find a way to steal me a Constitution class ship (TOS or TMP era).
I'd have to.
I couldn't resist.

See?
Yah.
I'd be toast in the Trek universe!
LOL!
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #86
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I'm sure you could just buy one on the Ferengi black market (no, I'm not letting this one go.)
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #87
Fretslayer

Quote:
I'm sure you could just buy one on the Ferengi black market (no, I'm not letting this one go.)
If I paid for it I wouldn't be much of a pirate, now would I?
LOL!

In a joking sort of way, I'm serious about this. LOL!

I'd be a space pirate if I ever lived in a time/place like that.
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #88
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

Yeah, but at least the Federation would just send you to a nice, comfy resort of a rehabilitation colony for piracy. The Empire would execute you.
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #89
Fretslayer

The Empire would hire me to disrupt Rebel trade routes.
LOL!

I
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #90
evil_genius_180
3DG Forum Moderator

I think I would have to be a bounty hunter or something in the Empire. You could still be disreputable but also know that the Empire won't get rid of you because they need you. Plus, then I could wear cool Mandalorian War Armor.